The Administrative Assistant performs a wide variety of activities to provide assistance to the Campus Planning and Capital Financing (CPCF) unit which includes the Office of University Planning, Capital Construction, and Real Estate Management within the Campus Planning, Infrastructure, and Facilities Division and Capital Budgeting and Financing within the Vice President for Finance Division. Primary responsibilities include general staff support for the unit, management of schedules, calendars arrangements, and ensuring that the Campus Planning and Capital Financing unit operates in an informed and effective manner. In addition, this position will respond to inquiries and work independently to solve problems and address challenges as necessary.
The Administrative Assistant maintains the calendars and oversees scheduling and coordination of meetings, conferences, special events, manages and coordinates correspondence to appropriate individuals and ensuring content and materials are prepared on behalf of the Associate Vice President, Assistant Vice Presidents, and Executive Director. The Administrative Assistant will also support travel booking, expense reporting, time reporting, vehicle maintenance, the ordering of supplies, and managing needs that may arise during day-to-day operations. These activities will require the monitoring of multiple deadlines simultaneously. This position requires the use of excellent judgement and decision-making to ensure the integrity and professionalism of the unit is maintained.
• Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, or related field, or equivalent level of training or experience
• Experience providing administrative support in an academic or professional office environment
• Experience handling sensitive and confidential information, documents, and files
• Experience providing detailed and timely administrative support in a professional office environment
• Proficiency with current computer software such as Microsoft Office suite and Outlook
• Must be able to handle difficult situations, resolve travel issues, prioritize tasks, pay attention to detail, meet critical deadlines, and multitask
• Ability to interact and communicate effectively, respectfully and tactfully with a high volume of individuals in a diverse environment
• Ability to maintain composure and a positive attitude while dealing with multiple customer requests
• Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills
• Experience working in a university or higher education environment
• Considerable knowledge of university organizational structure, policies and procedures
• Experience using systems such as Banner, HokieMart, HokieServ, Timeclock Plus, or PageUp software
• Extensive experience with Microsoft Office
• Certified Administrative Professional designation
$41,000 - $46,000
January 9, 2023
• Work is preformed primarily in an office setting with considerable sitting and repetitive motion from keyboarding
• Some walking, standing, climbing steps, bending and stooping may be required
• Must have an acceptable and safe driving record
• Must have a driver's license check
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Operations HR at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.