The individual serves as an Animal Care Technician within the Animal Resources and Care Division (ARCD) section of Research and Innovation. The individual is responsible and accountable for the daily provision of animal husbandry and care at an ARCD facility (vivarium) or facilities. Two on-site positions will be hired from this posting: one in Roanoke, VA and one in Blacksburg, VA.
The position encompasses the following responsibilities.
1. Provides animal husbandry and care for a variety of animal species with minimal guidance from more experienced ARCD personnel and in accordance with applicable regulations, guidelines, and internally established policies and procedures.
2. Provides daily care and maintenance for animals. One facility also requires a unique skill sets and/or highly specialized management, oversight, or housing systems such as in high containment areas (e.g. ABSL-3, select agents).
3. Provides sanitation, custodial, and other support services required for the daily operation and maintenance of the animal facility or other animal housing areas.
4. Performs duties that require specialized skills associated with the care and handling of animals, the sanitation of facilities and the operation and maintenance of equipment.
5. Performs basic technical animal procedures with minimal to no supervision. Assists with or performs advanced technical animal procedures under the guidance and direction of more experienced ARCD personnel.
6. Wears required personal protective equipment (PPE) appropriate for the species, housing conditions, and work area.
7. Performs routine duties that require the ability to lift/move objects weighing up to 50 lbs.
One position is primarily located in Blacksburg, Virginia but may periodically provide back-up support for the Roanoke campus. One position is primarily located in Roanoke, Virginia but may periodically provide back-up support for the Blacksburg campus. Both positions require some weekend and holiday work as part of a rotating schedule. Both positions are considered emergency positions.
• Demonstrated experience in performing and following established protocols for sanitation and disinfection in a professional environment
• Demonstrated experience using basic computer skills including the ability to utilize common applications (e.g., email, word processing, data spreadsheets)
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Valid US driver’s license
• Ability to pass an FBI background check and obtain within 12 months of hire and maintain a federal government Security Risk Assessment (SRA) clearance to work in ABSL-3 select agent facilities
• Associate’s or Bachelor’s Degree in Animal Science or a similar biological science
• Certification by the American Association for Laboratory Animal Science (AALAS) at the Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) level
• Experience working directly with animal species, including rodent, companion, agricultural and/or aquatic species
$35,438 - $40,438
January 16, 2023
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check and safe driving check completed and cleared.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Kaitlin Winfree at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.