Joining the Learning Systems team in our Division of Information Technology (DoIT), the person filling this position will act as a application administrator and configuration expert in support of many of the technology platforms provided by the Learning Systems (LS) team, including, but not limited to:
● Virtual Computer Labs (a primary focus)
● Canvas learning management system (including many integrations)
● Zoom video conferencing
● Kaltura video content management system
This person will manage our virtual computer labs setup day to day, handling base machine builds, dealing with licensing, provisioning access, and helping us grow and support the platform. This spans several different computer lab platforms in use today and planned such as Apporto, Azure Lab, the VT Cyber Range, and AWS Appstream; the portfolio of tools here will shift over time.
Assist with management of other LS platforms. Configuration management, change coordination, and system documentation are expected for all systems. Performs and assists with Tier 3 support for Canvas, Zoom, and Kaltura, and more.
The person filling this role should both be comfortable managing implementation processes for high availability, mission critical production systems, as well as having the skills to work on innovative, smaller new technology efforts, as the job will require a mix of both. This position is based in Blacksburg, VA and is available to accommodate a hybrid work schedule.
PLEASE NOTE: Sponsorship is not available for this role.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, engineering, or similar field.
- Experience in system or application administration for large, complex, distributed web-based systems.
- Basic understanding of relational databases and SQL. Experience with MySQL, Oracle, or similar RDBMS platforms.
- Demonstrable knowledge of troubleshooting “General internet failures” (such as DNS or HTTP/HTTPS connection issues).
- Availability (and prior experience related) to be “on call” to address production system issues and outages; experience providing escalated Tier 2 or Tier 3 support.
- Knowledge of change control practices/procedures and usage of configuration management software to track baselines and changes.
- Background working with cloud-hosted services like those in Amazon Web Services, Rackspace Cloud, Azure, and/or Google Cloud.
- Master’s degree in computer science, engineering, or similar field.
- Experience working in a Linux command line environment.
- Proficiency with source control systems such as Git.
- Understanding of concepts/protocols related to web & network applications, such as HTTP, SOAP, RTMP/RTSP, SSL, LDAP, NFS, and reading/using API’s.
- Programming and/or scripting experience in any of: Java, PHP, Perl, Python, Bash, and/or Ruby.
- Experience with teaching and learning systems in use at VT like Canvas, Zoom, Kaltura, etc.
- Experience working in higher education.
- Experience and expertise in developing or supporting accessible software that meets WCAG 2.1 requirements.
$80,000 - $90,000
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Brittany Bane at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.