The Assistant Accounts Payable Manager contributes to the effective operation of the accounts payable section of the Controller’s Office through supervising a team of seven employees and providing leadership to two Accounts Payable Supervisors.
• Manages the daily workload of seven full-time employees responsible for promptly and accurately paying vendors, individuals and travelers, answering direct report inquiries, training direct reports, and provides ongoing assessment/feedback with a formal annual evaluation.
• Provides guidance, advice, feedback and support to two Accounts Payable Supervisors, and provide back-up support as necessary.
• Manage accounts payable operations in the absence of the Accounts Payable Manager.
• Implement/upgrade system and process improvements.
• Maintain standard operating procedures.
• Manage/create/revise/deliver end-user training.
• Respond to department and vendor inquiries with accurate and appropriate information to answer questions, troubleshoot issues, and complaints.
• Determine if payments to vendors and individuals are taxable and prepare IRS tax documents (i.e., Form 1099).
• Liaise between vendors and university departments
• Serve as the primary contact for managing business relationships with applicable vendors (i.e., enrolling vendors for ACH payments, travel agencies, banking entities for p-card and state travel cards, etc.).
• Prepare detailed schedules and reports by compiling and analyzing data.
• Perform various monthly, quarterly, and annual reconciliations.
• Interpret and implement state, federal and/or university rules and regulations.
• Provide backup support for Accounts Payable Supervisors as necessary.
• Assist with other duties as assigned to support the success of the office.
• Associate or Bachelor degree in business, management, accounting or related field or equivalent level of training and/or experience;
• Extensive knowledge about accounting and management principles and Accounts Payable procedures.
• Proficiency with computers, Microsoft Office applications (specifically Word, Excel and Outlook), and data retrieval/analysis tools.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Strong planning and problem-solving skills.
• Motivation to develop and maintain internal and external relationships.
• Commitment to ethical behavior with a willingness to adhere to all university policies.
• The successful applicant will have the ability to independently plan, organize and prioritize workload in order to meet competing deadlines
• Work effectively with large volumes of complex data
• Communicate effectively orally and in writing
• Provide excellent customer service in a diverse and decentralized environment
• Make independent decisions in a complex environment
• Respond to ad hoc inquiries from university departments, vendors and travelers by researching answers applicable university, state and federal guidelines. Analyze information and processes.
• Experience supervising and leading subordinate staff in day to day performance to achieve milestones and goals.
• Experience applying GAAP and internal controls as they relate to business processes in higher education.
• Experience in analyzing business processes and recommending and/or implementing improvements.
• Experience with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems (i.e., Banner, Jagger/HokieMart, Chrome River, etc.);
• Working knowledge of state and university accounting systems and operating procedures.
• Experience developing and delivering training in a professional environment through in-person and online methods.
Commensurate with experience
January 25, 2023
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Marisela Garza at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.