Title: Assistant Attorney General III
Hiring Range: Commensurate with experience
Agency: Attorney General & Dept of Law
Location: Office of the Attorney General
Agency Website: www.oag.state.va.us
Recruitment Type: General Public - G
• Provide Commonwealth agencies with consistent advice and services with respect to real estate and related matters and transactions.
Work Tasks and Duties:
• Advise agencies with respect to real estate matters and transactions. (With respect to client agencies, advise on all matters including FOIA, employment, internal policies, & general questions.)
• Draft, review, & negotiate purchase and sale agreements.
• In depth due diligence review including review of title, survey, corporate authority, & some environmental matters.
• Draft, review, & negotiate easements, leases, licenses, and other transaction documents related to real estate transactions
• Review easements held by Commonwealth agencies under the Open-Space Land Act, and advise agencies regarding interpretation and enforcement of such easements.
• Work with agencies to develop up-to-date templates for use in real estate transactions.
• Attend board meetings of client agencies.
• Advise agencies with respect to agency administered funds and related mitigation settlement funds.
• Interpretation of Virginia Code (in particular 2.2-1100 et seq., the Open-Space Land Act, and the enabling statutes of represented agencies).
• Review proposed bills relating to real estate while the General Assembly is in session.
• Research and draft Attorney General Opinions relating to real estate.
• Assist agencies in drafting regulations.
• Develop solutions to allow transactions of the Commonwealth to proceed.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Excellent writing and drafting skills, ability to effectively communicate with clients and third parties, general real estate knowledge, general corporate knowledge, ability to determine creative solutions, experience with statutes and regulations, ability to quickly grasp complex issues, ability to multi-task, ability to work as a group and alone, patience, a good sense of humor.
RMS provides a confirmation of receipt when your application and/or résumé is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your RMS account to check the status of your application for this position.
Name: Human Resources
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS), or the Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired (DBVI). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS/DBVI to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: Career Pathways for Individuals with Disabilities, or call DARS at 800-552-5019, or DBVI at 800-622-2155.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.