The School of Visual Arts (SOVA) at Virginia Tech invites applications for a tenure-track faculty position at the Assistant Professor level in the Creative Technologies (CT) program, effective August 2023.
SOVA seeks a colleague who will assist in building our Departmental, College, and University strengths. We invite candidates with a record of excellence integrating expressive technologies and interdisciplinary research into their critically-driven arts practice.
Duties and responsibilities of the position include:
● Teach two courses each term of undergraduate and graduate courses from introductory to advanced levels in Creative Technologies (CT).
● Lead innovative and high-quality research and maintain a strong national/international creative research agenda.
● Develop and lead cross-disciplinary graduate and undergraduate curricula.
● Advise and mentor graduate and undergraduate students.
● Maintain up-to-date proficiency with digital tools and software packages related to teaching and creative research.
● Contribute to school, college, and university-level service and outreach.
● Contribute to the growth of SOVA’s school and programs through dynamic participation in a collaborative, cross-disciplinary work environment.
● Travel occasionally to attend conferences and meetings.
SOVA joins the School of Architecture, the School of Design, and the School of Performing Arts in comprising the College of Architecture, Arts, and Design (AAD) which launched in July 2022. SOVA consists of undergraduate and graduate degree programs, including BFA degrees in Graphic Design, Studio Art, and Creative Technologies, a BA in Art History, an MFA degree in Creative Technologies, and an MA degree in Material Culture and Public Humanities. SOVA consists of 26 full-time faculty members with approximately 275 undergraduate students, 25 master’s students, and doctoral students. SOVA is a collaborative environment that encourages engagement and cooperation among faculty in SOVA’s programs as well as other units across campus.
The College of Architecture, Arts, and Design at Virginia Tech affirms our collective responsibility to encourage, build, and embrace the polyculturalism of our world. We do this by acknowledging and addressing our past, recognizing our current responsibility, and acting in the interests of building and sustaining communities that are truly safe, supportive, and inclusive for all. Our commitment is to continually and proactively engage in these processes for the benefit of our students, staff, and faculty across the college, and the communities around the world we aim to serve.
● MFA or PhD in creative technologies, digital art, new media art, or related discipline.
● Demonstrated commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity.
● Strong research agenda and/or evidence of an ongoing and active professional record appropriate for area of expertise.
● Expertise in one or more of the following areas: game design and development; immersive environments; XR; physical computing; 2D and/or 3D digital animation; 3D scanning, modeling, and fabrication; video; sound; interactive installation; performance technology; and/or other creative technologies.
● Record of teaching or instructional excellence in area of expertise.
● Knowledge of the history and theory of art and contemporary artistic practices with particular competence in the candidate’s area of expertise.
● Evidence of success in working collaboratively across disciplines.
● Ability to teach creative practice through two or more current digital art-making platforms (such as Adobe CC, Godot, Unity, Unreal, D3.js, Processing, ThreeJS, Max/MSP, Notch, TouchDesigner, Blender, Maya, ZBrush, and/or Substance Designer).
● Experience employing one or more of the following as part of an experimental digital art practice: creative coding, XR environments, games and game studies, playable media and playable narratives.
● Proven advisory and leadership experience in academia or professional fields.
● Record of student accomplishment in the area of candidate’s teaching expertise and/or evidence of instructional experience.
For full consideration, candidates should submit the following:
Salary range is $80,000-85,000 per year
January 17, 2023 - review of candidate submissions will commence on this date and continue until the position is filled
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Julie Weaver at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.