Reporting to the Building Automations System Supervisor, the Building Automations System Assistant will assist technicians to monitor, operate, maintain, modify, troubleshoot, and replace pneumatic, electric, electronic, and direct digital controls systems associated with campus HVAC building controls and chiller controls.
• Associates Degree or current enrollment in Associates Degree program for Instrumentation & Control Automations Technology, or directly related field.
• Experience or successful coursework experience with programming, startup, modifying, troubleshooting and repair of one or more direct digital control systems.
• Experience or successful coursework experience verifying readings and measurements on building HVAC systems
• Experience or training/education to work from drawings, schematics, blueprints and job layouts.
• Experience working with a variety of hand tools.
• Must have strong computer skills with software such as Excel and Word.
• Must have a valid driver's license.
• Ability to comprehend and analyze complex interrelationships between multiple mechanical and electrical systems
• Must have strong interpersonal and communications skills.
• Must have the ability to safely and frequently move and handle heavy objects weighing 50 pounds or more; maneuver materials up and down stairs; climb and work from elevated workstations such as ladders and scaffolds; work for long periods of time standing, walking, reaching, bending, pushing/pulling.
• Must be able to work in all types of weather conditions, including extreme temperatures.
• This position is designated as Emergency Personnel. May be required to work additional hours/shifts to meet the needs of the department.
$16 - $20 per hour
January 4th, 2023
• Safely move and handle heavy objects weighing 50 pounds or more
• maneuver materials up and down stair
• climb and work from elevated work stations such as ladders and scaffolds
• work in awkward positions and confined spaces
• work for long periods of time standing, walking, reaching, bending, pushing/pulling
• work in all types of weather conditions, including extreme temperatures
• Repetitive motion through use of tools, equipment and computer keyboarding.
• Must have an acceptable and safe driving record
• Must have a driver's license check
• Emergency Personnel
• Typical work hours are 7 a.m. 3:30 p.m. Tuesday and Thursday, but could be adjusted by supervisor.
• May be required to work additional hours/shifts to meet the needs of the department.
• Must have annual health and safety medical check.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact CPIF HR at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.