The Department of Small Animal Clinical Sciences at Virginia-Maryland College of Veterinary Medicine invites applications for a full-time faculty position in Emergency Medicine and Critical Care to join our team of 1 DACVECC and 4 emergency faculty. The position is a Clinical Track appointment with the academic rank of Assistant or Associate Professor level. The successful candidate will join a team of specialists in emergency & critical care, surgery, internal medicine, cardiology, neurology, dermatology, ophthalmology, oncology, diagnostic imaging, anesthesia, and primary care. Our ECC service has expanded over the past few years and we are now looking for a second criticalist. We are excited about the prospect of creating a new emergency and critical care residency and are looking for someone who is interested in helping to build an inclusive, innovative and excellent program.
The duties of the successful applicant include participation in the teaching, service and scholarly missions of the College. The successful applicant is expected to participate in didactic teaching of veterinary students in emergency and critical care medicine as well as supervision and training of veterinary students and rotating interns in the emergency & critical care rotation. The applicant is responsible for triage and primary case management of emergency and ICU patients as well as consultation to clients and referring veterinarians seeking critical care for their animals. The applicant is expected to work with a diverse staff and clients in the community in a way that promotes the principles of equity and inclusion in veterinary medicine. Primary management of emergency and intensive care unit patients is expected as well as supervision and support of students, house officers, and the emergency faculty. Research responsibilities will vary based on the interest and qualifications of the candidate and will include primary, collaborative, or translational research to meet expectations. The successful candidate will be encouraged to work with ongoing research programs and contribute to the scholarly achievements of the department.
• Generous retirement contributions by the institution
• Student loans payment support
• Paid moving expenses
• Negotiable percentage of time allocated for clinical service, teaching, and research
• Salary will be competitive and commensurate with the candidate’s experience and qualifications.
• 24 days per year of leave and carry over of up to 288 hours per year.
• Twenty-six weeks (1,040 hours) of personal sick leave upon hire. Ten days can be used for family sick.
• Paid parental leave (320 hours) used for birth, adoption, foster or custodial placement of a child and is available up to 6 months from date of event. Can be used in addition to other leave. Must have been employed for 12 consecutive months.
• Thousands of Hokie discounts managed by PerkSpot
• More details found at https://www.hr.vt.edu/benefits.html
About Virginia Tech:
Virginia Tech, founded in 1872 as a land-grant institution, is currently ranked as a Top 25 Public University by US News & World 2014 Report. Through a combination of its three missions of learning, discovery, and engagement, Virginia Tech continually strives to accomplish the charge of its motto: Ut Prosim (That I May Serve). As the Commonwealth’s most comprehensive university and its leading research institution, Virginia Tech serves a diverse population of 30,000+ students and 8000+ faculty and staff from over 100 countries, and is engaged in research around the world.
Nestled on a plateau between the Blue Ridge and Allegheny mountains, the Town of Blacksburg is part of Montgomery County in the heart of Southwest Virginia’s New River Valley. Because of the town’s award-winning services, reasonable cost of living, safety, moderate climate, and abundant leisure activities, Blacksburg is consistently ranked among the country’s best places to live and has a nationwide reputation as a well-managed, stable, and forward-looking community. For more information on Blacksburg, visit https://www.blacksburg.gov/community/community-profile . Blacksburg is also less than an hour’s drive to Roanoke and just a few hours to Charlotte, NC.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Complete the online application at https://jobs.vt.edu/
Please include a cover letter, a curriculum vitae, and list of three professional references. Review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. Direct inquiries to Dr. Bobbi Conner, search committee chair, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, Telephone (540) 231-4939.
For more information about the College, please visit http://www.vetmed.vt.edu/ .
For departmental information, please go to https://www.vetmed.vt.edu/departments/dsacs/ .
● DVM or equivalent foreign degree by the date of hire
● Completion of an American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care (ACVECC) or the European College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care (ECVECC) residency program by the date of hire.
● Excellent interpersonal interactions and communication skills, including a demonstrated ability to work with others in a collegial team atmosphere and a desire to participate in a diverse, dynamic community.
● Must be eligible for a Virginia faculty veterinary license by the date of hire.
● Occasional travel to attend professional conferences and meetings
• Commitment to the values of diversity, equity and inclusion, and demonstrated success in building and supporting a diverse student community.
● Diplomate status in the American College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care (ACVECC) or the European College of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care (ECVECC) is preferred.
● Demonstrated advanced clinical experience.
● Experience in teaching and/or training house officers
● Previous scholarly activity.
● Previous scholarly activity, including but not limited to advanced degrees (Master’s, PhDs, etc.)
Commensurate with experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Bobbi Conner at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.