The Collaborative Computing Solutions (CCS) department within the Division of IT at Virginia Tech is working to ensure that faculty, staff, and students at the university have access to robust tools and environments to empower innovation and collaboration at all levels. To support this mission, CCS is seeking a talented Azure focused Cloud Systems Engineer to join our team.
• CCS directly manages the following services for Virginia Tech
o University Email Services (Gmail and Exchange Online)
o VT SaaS Offerings (Google Workspace, Microsoft 365, and Slack)
o Cloud Accounts and Services (AWS, Azure, and GCP)
o Secure Virtual Environments (Hyper-V)
o VT Active Directory\Azure Active Directory
**This job is eligible for hybrid and/or remote work**
• Architecting geographically redundant, scalable, and highly available systems for CCS.
• Ability to design a hybrid architecture using key Azure technologies as well as a continuous integration and deployment process
• Design and plan improvements to CCS virtualized on-prem and cloud-based environments to support compliance requirements, performance optimization, and scalability
• Leading configuration, deployment, and management of on-prem and cloud-based network infrastructure components, including firewalls, switches, host servers, and storage systems
• Migration of on-premises infrastructure utilizing Azure Stack HCI to Azure.
• Manage and maintain CCS Disaster Recovery utilizing solutions such as Azure Site Recovery.
• Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
• Create and maintain up-to-date documentation of services and functions. Consisting of, but not limited to, network diagrams and architectural blueprints
• Follow established policies, procedures, and best practices to ensure operational excellence and efficient workflow
• Consult with faculty, staff, researchers, and IT partners to advise them on best practice strategies for using and integrating with Cloud solutions at Virginia Tech
Please note: Sponsorship is not available for this role.
• Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, IT related field or equivalent work experience in a related field
• Strong analytical, organizational, and problem-solving skills, excellent communication skills and the ability to provide leadership in assigned areas
• Ability to utilize cloud-based scripting technologies and techniques to automate cloud provisioning and tasks. Such as Azure ARM, Azure Bicep, AWS CDK, or Terraform
• Expert knowledge of fundamental LAN/WAN technologies and IP protocols such as HTTP, DNS, DHCP, NTP, NFS including TCP/IP networking (IPv4/IPv6)
• Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
• Ability to exercise confidentiality, good judgment, and critical thinking when working with sensitive issues
• Microsoft Certified: Azure Fundamentals or AWS Certified: Cloud Practitioner certification
• Experience with 3rd-party cloud solutions such as Microsoft Azure, Amazon AWS, and Google Compute Platform and developing cloud-based infrastructure and networking between cloud and on-prem solutions
• Master’s degree in Computer Science, Information Systems, IT related field or equivalent work experience in a related field
• Experience working with Microsoft focused hypervisor virtualization technology, such as Hyper- V, Azure Stack HCI, Azure
• Working knowledge of data encryption technologies
• Knowledge of authentication protocols and other methods of providing security for passwords and network communication, including Multi-Factor Authentication
• Strong skills in preparing reports/documents and presenting information
• Relevant professional certifications such as Microsoft/AWS Certified: DevOps Engineer or Microsoft/AWS Certified: Solutions Architect
$65,866 - $90,000
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Brittany Bane at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.