The Department of Agricultural, Leadership, and Community Education seeks a Collegiate Assistant Professor in Leadership. This is a 9-month (academic year), promotable appointment. For details on this appointment type, see https://faculty.vt.edu/faculty-handbook/chapter05.html. The successful candidate will join a team of faculty with an emphasis on leadership studies. We seek an individual who can contribute teaching and outreach efforts focused on leadership education and development. Specifically, this person will work with the faculty team to teach undergraduate and graduate courses, both face-to-face and online. Additionally, this person will conduct and collaborate on projects related to the scholarship of leadership education. The successful candidate will have a passion for leadership education and the related scholarship that furthers the field. Potential areas of expertise might include: diversity, equity, and inclusion, particularly building inclusive classrooms; community leadership development; followership; trends in leadership theory; evaluating leadership programs; etc.
● Teach face-to-face and online graduate and undergraduate courses in leadership studies with the potential of developing new courses.
● Advise undergraduate and graduate students.
● Integrate and contribute to the scholarship of leadership education.
● Perform as a team member in a department that includes agricultural, leadership, and community education programs that work in concert to achieve the goals of the unit.
● Earned doctorate in leadership education or a closely related field.
● Experience conducting applied research related to leadership.
● Demonstrated ability to work with constituents and a student body from diverse backgrounds and sensitivity to issues of diversity in the campus community.
● Demonstrated command of concepts and theories associated with leadership.
● Demonstrated proficiency in oral and written communication.
● Record of successfully facilitating professional learning programs.
● Demonstrated skill in leadership development programming.
● Demonstrated record of effective university teaching experience.
● Experience with extension education.
● Experience teaching online undergraduate and graduate courses.
● Record of successfully advising undergraduate and graduate students.
● Certification in leadership assessments and development tools.
Commensurate with Experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Dr. Eric Kaufman at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.