This position reports directly to the Director of Air Transportation Services and strives to provide an extraordinary level of customer service to clients year-round. Command pilots will transport clients to the designated destinations with the utmost professionalism and a customer-focused mentality. The incumbent will operate the university’s executive aircraft while working as either the Pilot in Command (PIC) or Second in Command, depending on scheduling needs. They will maintain logs for flight manifest and update changes promptly for accuracy. Command Pilots are subject to on-call situations and are expected to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
The FAA federal requirements are that pilots operating under FAR Part 121, Commercial Aviation, retire from flying service at age 65. Virginia Tech, a FAR Part 91 private operator, allows pilots to continue to fly until age 67. To alleviate safety concerns, upon obtaining the age of 65, Virginia Tech pilots must maintain a First-Class medical certificate every six months and pass an annual flight physical to continue flying.
The incumbent of this position will also act as a Safety Officer for the ATS department and will be challenged to remain familiar with safety issues promulgated by the FAA, NBAA, AOPA, and other sources. This role will also schedule and chair regular departmental safety meetings to guide fellow Command Pilots.
• Must have an ATP license.
• Excellent cockpit management and interpersonal skills.
• Excellent safety record.
• Citation XL (CE56XL) or Sovereign (CE680) type rating.
• Demonstrated ability to safely operate multiengine jet aircraft in all flight conditions in both
a coast-to-coast domestic and international environment (Canada).
• Must meet the requirements set by the Virginia Tech Air Transportation Services Flight
Operations Manual (incumbent will review fully before hire).
• Proficiency with standard office software.
• Ability to work on an as needed basis to meet the travel needs of the university.
• Ability to interact effectively and comfortably with people from diverse backgrounds.
• Demonstrated ability to work with the public and strong Customer service skills.
• Some overnight travel may be required.
• First Class FAA Medical Certificate.
• 2,500 hours flight time.
• 200 hours instrument.
• 500 hours multiengine.
• Pilot in Command (PIC) experience.
• Experience operating in non-towered, non-radar, and mountainous flight areas.
• Demonstrated experience working with executive management.
• Work experience in a university environment.
• College degree or equivalent experience.
• 3,500 hours flight time.
• 800 hours instrument.
• 800 hours multiengine turbine and/or jet.
Commensurate with experience.
Opened until filled.
• Must meet aviation medical requirements
to obtain and maintain a First Class FAA
• Must be able to safely move and handle
(by reaching, pulling, pushing, bending,
raising) objects weighing up to 75 pounds.
• Must have a criminal background check.
• Must have a driver's license check.
• Candidates for employment are required to
successfully complete a pre-employment
• Incumbents are subject to random,
reasonable suspicion and post-accident
drug and alcohol screening.
• Subject to being scheduled 24 hours,
seven days a week, and being on-call
Monday-Friday and on selected scheduled
• Maintain a current commercial pilot
certificate, instrument rating, and
• Must meet the requirements set by the
Virginia Tech Air Transportation Services
Flight Operations Manual.
• Must undergo a yearly medical
examination, per departmental and FAA
• Emergency Personnel.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Dee Perkins at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.