Transportation is undergoing an incredible transformation that is inspiring researchers to approach problems using new technologies and non-traditional methods. At the Virginia Tech Transportation Institute (VTTI), a world-leading research enterprise, we are working with government agencies, transportation and safety organizations, vehicle manufacturers and their suppliers, and others to overcome these challenges and improve transportation safety and performance on the world’s roads. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nj4VWviw5JA).
The Division of Freight, Transit, and Heavy Vehicle Safety (DHVY), a research-focused group within VTTI, seeks a qualified engineer/ scientist with a strong background and proven research record in big data analysis, computer vision, and machine learning with an interest in transportation research. The ideal candidate is an experienced researcher with a desire to eventually take a leadership role in a growing and diverse research portfolio. The candidate must be capable of working collaboratively in multidisciplinary teams (as a Research Associate) or leading those teams (as a Senior Research Associate) to complete transportation research projects within constraints of time and budget. The research projects mostly include development of advanced computer vision and machine learning algorithm for perception, planning, and behavior modeling.
The candidate must be motivated to work with problems related to transportation, safety, and operation using multi modal data. The candidate must also be interested in algorithm development, software management, and deployment using image, videos, and time series data that are applicable to safety technology and automation. The candidate must also understand the working principles of advanced computer vision and machine learning methods like CNN, RNN, GAN, Autoencoders, Transformers, and reinforcement learning.
RESEARCH ASSOCIATE RANK – Research Associates will be expected to carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
• Literature reviews
• Multi-modal (Camera, LiDAR) data processing
• Big Data Processing
• Develop and manage software
• Interpret results and develop robust conclusions
• Write research reports
• Present research findings
• Assist in the development of proposals
• Assist with the conceptualization and creation of work plans, protocols, and procedures
• Coordinate and collaborate with subcontractors and interface with stakeholders and sponsors as required
•Must be able to work effectively independently with oversight as well as within multidisciplinary project teams as appropriate
SENIOR RESEARCH ASSOCIATE RANK: As a senior team member, the successful candidate will contribute to the conceptualization of research and proposal development and serve in both principal investigator and co-principal investigator capacities.
Duties and responsibilities will include (additional to that of Research Associate position):
• Lead in the development of proposals and assist other senior researchers in the development of proposals
• Perform and/or oversee literature reviews
• Lead and assist conceptualization and creation of work plans, protocols, and procedures
• Review, critique, and revise research plans and reports
• Coordinate and collaborate with subcontractors and interface with stakeholders and sponsors
• Maintain existing sponsor relationships, develop new relationships with potential sponsors, and solicit research funding
• Communicate project objectives, provide feedback on proposed research plans, and manage project logistics as a principal investigator and project managers.
• Supervise or coordinate the work of other researchers, graduate research assistants, students, technicians, and research staff who assist in specific assignments.
• Must be able to work effectively independently as well as within multidisciplinary project teams as appropriate.
All candidates must be able to work on-site/ in office at Blacksburg Campus for majority of the work hours (at least 4 days a week).
VTTI provides opportunities for professional advancement and a pay for performance compensation structure. The salary is commensurate with experience.
- Must have strong communication skills and organizational skills.
- Willingness to work in a fast paced, flexible research environment to solve complex problems and develop solutions that will improve safety on our nation’s roadways.
• Extensive Working experience with computer vision/ perception
• Extensive knowledge and experience with deep learning based models including CNN, RNN, AE
• Expertise in Python
• Extensive experience in software development and management using platforms like PyTorch, Tensorflow, OpenCV.
• Peer reviewed publication in related field.
Research Associate rank will require a master’s degree in engineering, statistics, psychology, science, or related field. Candidates with a lesser degree and significant experience in transportation safety in lieu of master’s degree will also be considered.
Senior Research Associate rank will require a PhD in engineering, science, or related field with research experience in transportation safety. Candidates with a lesser degree and significant experience in lieu of PhD will also be considered.
• Previous experience in transportation research.
• Working experience 3D point cloud and LiDAR data.
• Experience with Driver behavior analysis
• Working experience with time series data analysis, and signal processing
• Experience with multiple programming languages (Matlab, Python, R etc.)
• Previous experience in mathematical modelling and simulation
• Knowledge of Docker (or similar) environment
• Knowledge of data visualization including web-based design
• Experience with cloud based solutions (AWS/Oracle etc.)
$53,500 - $120,000, commensurate with experience and rank
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Natalie Jett at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.