Title: Custodians - Full time
Hiring Range: $31,200($15/hr),plus Generous Benefits Package
Agency: Virginia Military Institute
Location: Virginia Military Institute
Agency Website: www.vmi.edu
Recruitment Type: General Public - G
Virginia Military Institute is accepting applications for full-time custodial workers to support VMI and the corps of Cadets. As a new full time, state employee at VMI you will receive a generous benefits package with medical insurance, life insurance and retirement plan through the Virginia Retirement System. Additionally, employees will receive paid time off each year of more than 25 days and two weeks paid furlough at Christmas. There may be opportunity for overtime work in the evenings and on weekends.
• Restroom Maintenance – Clean and disinfect all assigned restrooms, to include but not limited to: basins, mirrors, commodes, floors, urinals, walls, and fixtures. Stock paper products as necessary.
• Trash removal/police outside – Remove all trash and debris from assigned areas. Responsible for policing outside of building area. Remove debris, snow, ice, and leaves as directed. Re-check as necessary during shift
• Common Area Cleaning – Clean classrooms, study rooms, offices, libraries, entryways, water fountains, stairways, hallways, and other assigned areas. Cleaning will consist of, but not limited to: sweeping, mopping, buffing, dusting, and window cleaning.
• Hard Surface Floor Care/Carpet Cleaning – Sweep, mop and buff resilient floors to reveal a clean and glossy appearance. High speed maintenance buffing is also required. Clean carpets as required or by request using a bonnet or carpet extractor method.
• Customer Satisfaction and Special Project Assistance – Respond to customer requests in a courteous and professional manner. Assist supervisor with special assignments upon request.
• Perform other duties as assigned by management such as event preparation and support, inclement weather support, special project teams, i.e. floor maintenance.
Selectee will be required to wear a uniform and present a neat, professional appearance.
Training will be provided.
• Ability to perform a variety of cleaning tasks
• Ability to tolerate contact with a variety of cleaning products and solutions
• Ability to lift/move heavy objects up to 50 lbs.
• Ability to stand for extended periods of time
• Ability to perform manual labor
• Ability to read and write the English language and to understand and follow oral/written instructions
• Ability to work in either a team or individual environment
• Ability to work well with students, staff, and members of the public.
• Possess a valid VA driver’s license
• High School diploma or equivalent
• Good customer service skills
• Working skills in the operation of manual and power cleaning equipment to include buffers, wet-dry vacuums, shampooers, and pressure washers
• Knowledge of cleaning methods and use of cleaning chemicals, equipment and supplies
• Knowledge of safety practices related to the work.
RMS provides a confirmation of receipt when your application and/or résumé is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your RMS account to check the status of your application for this position.
Applications accepted until filled.
Criminal background check required for selected candidate.
Name: Tamara Wade
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS), or the Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired (DBVI). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS/DBVI to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: Career Pathways for Individuals with Disabilities, or call DARS at 800-552-5019, or DBVI at 800-622-2155.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.