Title: Deputy Director of Administration
Hiring Range: Negotiable up to $141,750
Agency: Dept of Housing & Cmnty Devel
Location: Main Street Centre
Agency Website: www.dhcd.virginia.gov
Recruitment Type: General Public - G
The Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) seeks a strategic, executive team member to lead the agency’s administrative operations. This position will provide a high level of professional customer service while ensuring quality administrative operational support enabling the efficient and effective delivery of the programs and services of the Department of Housing and Community Development. The Division of Administration is responsible for the management and coordination of administrative operations of the agency including financial and accounting services, procurement, human resources, information technology, and general administrative services in such a manner that customer service, collaboration and accountability is maximized to both internal and external customers so that a high level of integrity, consistency and professionalism is exhibited in the delivery of those services. Key responsibilities include, but not limited to:
• Strategic leadership of budget, financial and accounting systems, performance management, audits, information technology, administrative and operational policies and procedures, human resources, procurement, and other business support functions such as office and mailroom services, and telecommunications.
• Play a key role and offering expertise in strategic budget, finance, and planning efforts. The position also plays a key role in project management of internal agency wide projects to invest in greater IT, HR, Procurement and Finance capacity to meet the growing mission areas of DHCD.
• Assuring effective structures, processes and procedures of agency operations, and creating capacity to maintain, develop and meeting goals.
• Advising the agency Director on operational and administrative matters including policies, procedures, strategic planning, and performance measures. Serve as an executive leader on the executive leadership team.
• All DHCD managers and leaders are expected to assist with leading diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) efforts, in alignment with the agency DEI Strategic Plan. This role leads and enables DEI within perspective operational units, and those efforts impacting the agency’s external stakeholders.
Key competencies needed to achieve this role include:
• Considerable knowledge of public administration with an emphasis on financial and budgetary systems and processes. Comprehensive knowledge of operational and business principles, practices, and procedures.
• Knowledge of modern leadership practices and change management principles.
• Knowledge of general finance, human resources, information systems and facilities management in a state government context.
• Demonstrated skills in planning, monitoring, and evaluating programs; investigating and problem solving.
• Effective time and project management skills.
• Skilled at effectively supervising staff by including staff in planning, decision-making, facilitation of meetings, policy development and process improvement.
• Ability to manage change initiatives and projects to completion within established timeframes and scope.
• Ability to operate at a higher policy level with frequent interaction with senior state executive and legislative policy makers.
• Considerable knowledge of managing diverse and complex programs and budgets.
• Demonstrated ability and skill to negotiate sensitive issues, resolve problems, and effectively communicate both orally and in writing with all levels of government officials, client groups and the public.
• Strong interpersonal skills. Knowledge of working in a strong team environment, including supporting peers and subordinates, navigating conflict and creating a positive work experience.
• Considerable knowledge and ability in planning and directing the work of a diverse professional staff.
The Virginia Department of Housing and Community Development (DHCD) is committed to creating safe, affordable and prosperous communities to live, work and do business in Virginia.
• Extensive executive level experience in leadership, state or local government, administrative management, and/or internal policy development.
• Considerable knowledge of public administration with an emphasis on financial and budgetary systems and processes.
• Expertise and experience managing a minimum of one of the areas of oversight (HR, IT, Finance, Procurement or Risk Management).
• Comprehensive knowledge of operational and business principles, practices, and procedures.
• Must have previous experience building effective internal partnerships with diverse organizations and interests.
• Considerable experience managing in a generalist capacity with a broad range of management skills.
• A valid State Driver’s License is required to operate a state vehicle or if operating a personal vehicle while conducting business on behalf of the agency.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Public Administration, Business Administration, Public Policy, or Management from an accredited university.
• Demonstrated education and/or experience in finance and budgeting.
Employment is contingent upon satisfactory results of a state and federal criminal history background check, employment reference check and E-Verify. Other financial, credit, driving, or other background checks prior to employment may be required for certain positions. The selected candidate must complete a Statement of Personal Economic Interests as a condition of employment, if applicable (Va. Code § 2.2-3114).
Name: Human Resources
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS), or the Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired (DBVI). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS/DBVI to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: Career Pathways for Individuals with Disabilities, or call DARS at 800-552-5019, or DBVI at 800-622-2155.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.