The College of Liberal Arts and Human Sciences at Virginia Tech seeks a creative, skilled, and versatile digital communications manager to play a critical role in enhancing the digital presence of the college as well as its academic departments, schools, centers, and programs.
Working independently as well as part of a team, the manager will be a key player in executing a digital-first strategy for the college. The manager will collaborate with college stakeholders to create accessible, clean, and well-functioning front-end code for web and other digital communications. The manager will audit the college’s web communications landscape; analyze website metrics from a user experience perspective; develop a search engine optimization strategy; create visually engaging designs; research, propose, and implement the newest digital trends to ensure the college is following best practices; use technological platforms to reach desired audiences; and achieve a cohesive visual identity that adheres to the university’s brand. The manager will also work with the college’s departments, schools, and programs to help maintain their websites and train unit communicators on tools, platforms, and best practices. The manager will manage a ticketing queue for web updates and publishing needs and collaborate with IT specialists in the college as needs arise.
This position reports to the director of marketing and communications and is part of the college’s Advancement team, with matrix reporting to the chief technology officer.
This is a hybrid position.
• Bachelor’s degree in such fields as computer science, digital media, or communication.
• Extensive experience working within a content management system.
• Demonstrated proficiency in HTML and CSS.
• Experience with responsive web design.
• History of creating digital communications with a focus on user experiences.
• Understanding of Google Workspace development tools.
• Experience with Google ads and related marketing tools.
• Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud graphic applications, including Illustrator, Photoshop, and Acrobat.
• Experience with Microsoft Office tools, including Word, Outlook, PowerPoint, and Excel.
• Knowledge of website accessibility issues.
• Strong visual design skills and demonstrated experience in using design principles to enhance digital content.
• Strong communication skills.
• History of working collaboratively as a team player.
• Higher education experience
• Master’s degree in such fields as computer science, digital media, or communication.
• Experience with Adobe Experience Manager.
• Graphic design training and experience.
• Experience incorporating marketing and sales functionalities into larger host sites.
• Experience in competitive research and keyword research methodologies.
• Knowledge of Virginia Tech brand standards.
Commensurate with experience with a salary range of $57,000-$67,000 per year
January 16, 2023
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Jenny Boone at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.