Title: Director of Athletics Academic Services & Compliance
Hiring Range: Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
Agency: Virginia Military Institute
Location: Virginia Military Institute
Agency Website: www.vmi.edu
Recruitment Type: General Public - G
Virginia Military Institute, an NCAA Division I and Southern Conference member, is seeking candidates for the Director of Academic Services & Compliance. The selected candidate will report to the Deputy Athletic Director with responsibilities in academic support programming, cadet-athlete services, NCAA compliance and general administrative functions.
Specific Duties Include:
• Lead departmental administrator for all academic support programming. Assists with departmental compliance
• Supervises the Assistant Director of Academic Services & Compliance.
• Provides support on all compliance matters, systems, and operations.
• Develops, in conjunction with the Deputy Athletic Director the unit financial plan, summer school and 5th year grant-in-aid budget.
• Oversees all aspects of Academic Progress Rate data input, reporting and strategic planning
• Designs and administers community service projects for cadet-athletes and sports programs
• Serves as administrative liaison to Keydet Advisory Representatives and oversees SAAC
• Supports event operation and facility management efforts
• Designs and administers rules education programming for department and constituent groups
• Oversees the academic certification of cadet-athletes through the use of Compliance Assistant and the Eligibility Checklist (satisfactory progress toward degree certification) and any other software programs
• Provides rules interpretations and promotes an atmosphere of compliance
• Potential for sport supervision opportunities
• Serves as an active staff member for VMI’s Athletics Oversight Committee and contributes to other Institute, departmental, SoCon and NCAA committees as appropriate
• Other duties as assigned
• Bachelor’s degree required, master’s degree preferred
• Two to three years of experience providing academic advising and counseling to intercollegiate student-athletes is required
• Experience as a graduate assistant is acceptable.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills are required;
• Knowledge of NCAA requirements as they pertain to academic eligibility
• Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate with Cadet-athletes, coaches, athletic trainers and athletic administration.
• Experience and knowledge of unique factors affecting collegiate student-athletes.
Master’s Degree Preferred.
RMS provides a confirmation of receipt when your application and/or résumé is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your RMS account to check the status of your application for this position.
Please include a letter of introduction and resume with the names and contact information for three professional references.
Name: Tamara Wade
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS), or the Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired (DBVI). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS/DBVI to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: Career Pathways for Individuals with Disabilities, or call DARS at 800-552-5019, or DBVI at 800-622-2155.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.