Title: District Resource Management Assistant - District 5
Hiring Range: $15.00 - $20.00 per hour
Agency: Dept Conservation & Recreation
Location: Staunton River State Park
Agency Website: www.dcr.virginia.gov
Recruitment Type: General Public - G
THIS IS A REPOSTING ALL APPLICANTS MUST REAPPLY.
This position is limited to working 1500 hours in a 12 month period from May 1 to April 30. No benefits are associated with wage positions. This position will be based at Staunton River State Park located in Scottsburg, VA and requires frequent daily and occasional overnight travel. This position requires frequent work outdoors in a variety of weather conditions. Frequent daily and occasional overnight travel required.
This position will be responsible for assisting the District Resource Specialist with a variety of resource management projects including:
- Long term land management planning and implementation
- Monitoring and control of non-native or invasive pest species
- Preparation of burn units and participation on prescribed burns as crew member/squad boss
- Trail design, construction, and maintenance
- Plant and animal surveys
- Managed deer hunts (as requested by parks in District) and other wildlife management
- Boundary marking
- GIS data collection and data management
This position will also be responsible for maintenance and organization of tools, equipment, office space and vehicles, mapping using GPS and ESRI ArcGIS software, data entry, participation in special events and/or disaster relief as needed, and supervision of Virginia Service and Conservation Corps (AmeriCorps) crew, Youth Conservation Corps volunteers, and other volunteers as requested.
- Valid driver’s license or ability to attain required
- Basic knowledge of resource management issues, practices and procedures
- Basic knowledge of Windows based computer operation
- Experience using ArcGIS mapping software
- Experience with tools such compass, clinometer, diameter tape, and trail building tools
- Ability to organize, maintain, and use tools and equipment associated with resource activities (hand tools, chainsaw, ATV, UTV, Skidsteer, Tractor, etc.)
- Experience with sustainable trail design and maintenance
- Good communication, writing and data organization skills
- Ability to train and supervise others
RMS provides a confirmation of receipt when your application and/or résumé is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your RMS account to check the status of your application for this position.
State applications will only be accepted as submitted online by 11:55 pm on the closing date through the PageUp recruitment system. State applications submitted via email, postal mail, fax, or in person will not be considered. This website will provide a confirmation of receipt when the application is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your PageUp Account to check the status of your application for this position. DCR is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and the highest ideals of diversity, equity, and inclusion. We believe that our greatest strength lies in the individual differences, experiences, and skillsets that our employees bring to the table. Because of this, we strongly encourage applications from all walks of life and we welcome all contributions in terms of age, beliefs, color, culture, disability, education, ethnicity, gender identity/expression, language, national origin, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, and veteran’s status.
Employment in all positions within the Virginia State Parks is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background check.
Commonwealth’s Alternate Hiring Process: In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: https://www.vadars.org/drs/cpid/PWContact.aspx , or call DARS at 800-552-5019.
For all positions, experience is not required, but is preferred. Weekends and holiday work required. We provide on the job training. Employees may be required to perform other park related duties during emergencies, or on a non-recurrent basis. Seasonal summer jobs can be an outstanding first step toward a lasting career with the park service.
There are no health benefits or paid vacation leave associated with the job. Employees are limited to working no more than 1500 hours in 12 months from May 1 to April 30. Position does not include benefits. Employment in all positions within the Virginia State Parks is contingent upon satisfactory completion of a background check. Employer participates in e-Verify.
- Employees are limited to working no more than 1500 hours in 12 months from May 1 to April 30.
- Position does not include benefits
- Valid VA Driver’s License or ability to attain required.
- Ability to work in diverse conditions including exposure to the outdoors, weather in all seasons, dust, animals and insects
- DCR Prescribed Burn Crew Member qualification or the ability to obtain within 12 months (NWCG firefighter type 2)
- Virginia registered technician certification (pesticide) or the ability to obtain within 6 months
- DCR Sawyer Apprentice qualification or the ability to obtain within 6 months
- Frequent daily and occasional overnight travel required
- Criminal history record check, references, work history and DMV driving record will be verified prior to employment
Name: Amber Wiley
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS), or the Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired (DBVI). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS/DBVI to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: Career Pathways for Individuals with Disabilities, or call DARS at 800-552-5019, or DBVI at 800-622-2155.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.