Virgina Tech's 2020 Climate Action Commitment calls for campus carbon neutrality by 2030, requiring us to grow our team of energy & sustainability experts to reach this goal. We need an expert energy engineer who wants an opportunity to become part of something very meaningful, impactful and measurable in a way that you clearly see your contribution to climate action, to the education of our university community, and to the economic sustainability and rapid expansion of the Virginia Tech campus in beautiful Blacksburg.
Reporting to the Assistant Director for Climate Action, Sustainability & Energy + Campus Energy Manager (A.D for CASE + CEM), the Energy Engineer (EE) will use their exceptional understanding of building HVAC and mechanical systems, compressed air systems, refrigeration, lighting, building envelope and electrical systems to help identify, design, develop and implement energy efficiency measures (EEM) for campus buildings to reduce energy costs and support University sustainability and resource conservation objectives. The EE will focus on EEM both small and large for a wide spectrum of buildings on campus including but not limited to research laboratories, academic buildings, and athletic facilities. The EE will use measurement and verification best practices to assure EEM generates the projected energy savings.
The EE will leverage their exceptional understanding of building mechanical and control systems and substantial experience in the field of energy efficiency systems optimization to ensure buildings are working at or towards high performance levels. With access to Building Automation Systems (BAS), the EE will lead the HVAC retro commissioning program utilizing designated internal and external resources.
The EE provides energy efficiency oversight and support to the campus facilities systems operations teams ensuring systems are operating and functioning in accordance with applicable energy codes and standards.
The EE delegates work to internal and external resources as directed by the A.D for CASE + CEM.
The EE provides chilled water system energy efficiency oversight to the ICM Manager, Chilled Water Plant Supervisor, Chilled Water System Technician, and contracted services. The EE also supports mechanical engineering of chilled water system design issues.
The EE shall assist in design review and commissioning with engineering and construction teams for new and retrofit building projects.
The EE completes all routine work assignments and performs all additional duties as assigned. Maintains a safe and clean working environment. Consistently meets university needs in a timely and professional manner with increasingly improved skill. Follows-up on every project or task to ensure that all items are completed to the satisfaction of the supervisor. Maintains a responsible attendance record, punctuality, and consistent meeting of deadlines. Builds and maintains internal and external customer satisfaction with the products and services offered by the organization. Seeks feedback, is responsive to stakeholders and takes appropriate action for the situation.
Performs work in a manner that supports and facilitates the work of others in Facilities Services and the university community. Maintains a positive and cooperative working relationship with members of the facilities department and campus community by practicing individual dignity, using tact and diplomacy, and always being respectful and civil. Utilizes respectful communication when dealing with people in all situations, demonstrating restraint, fairness, and firmness. Works effectively to understand by carefully listening and working to be understood. Demonstrates restraint, fairness, and firmness with all people in all situations.
Must be able to effectively communicate and successfully interact with a variety of individuals in a diverse environment at all levels of the organization. Ability to maintain confidentiality and work appropriately within the department hierarchy. Communicates effectively to resolve problems and proactively resolve conflicts or disagreements in the workplace, makes suggestions and ask pertinent questions to facilitate effective communication.
• Advanced degree in engineering or, a bachelor's degree in engineering combined with related professional experience equivalent to an advanced degree.
• Significant years or related experience in designing and/or operating HVAC systems, energy systems, or in energy engineering or energy management.
• Strong knowledge of HVAC theory and applications for commercial buildings.
• Excellent knowledge and experience with BAS systems optimization and HVAC system commissioning
• Excellent knowledge of chilled water system design, operation, and optimization
• Certified Energy Manager (CEM) by the Association of Energy Engineers or ability to achieve within one year of employment.
• Experience conducting field measurements and data logging on HVAC systems.
• Experience developing EEMs (energy efficiency measures).
• Experience performing energy saving analysis using ASHRAE simplified bin methods and spreadsheets.
• Experience using building energy simulation tools such as eQuest, DOE2, Tracer, etc.
• Experience working with external contractors for project pricing.
• Familiarity with International Performance Measurement and Verification Protocol (IPMVP) guidelines.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Must have a valid driver's license.
• Excellent organizational skills and ability to work independently.
• Bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering
• Master's degree in mechanical engineering
• Professional Engineer (PE) license and ability to receive VA PE license within one year of employment.
• Certified Energy Auditor (CEA) by the Association of Energy Engineers or ability to achieve within one year of employment.
• Considerable experience in Energy Performance Contracting for commercial buildings.
• TAB/Commissioning Certifications.
• Experience conducting ASRAE Level III (investment grade) energy audits for commercial buildings.
• Experience supporting the implementation of EEMs during construction phase.
• Experience verifying energy savings using regression analysis or calibrated simulation.
• High level of proficiency using Microsoft Excel.
• Strong knowledge and experience with LEED certification standards
$80,000 - $110,000
February 1st, 2023
• Though the position is primarily in an office setting, some outdoor site inspection may be required, including outdoor site visits during all weather conditions.
• Must be able to travel to various campus properties.
• Physical requirements may include driving, walking, bending, twisting, kneeling, repetitive motion of hands/fingers, grasping/gripping, climbing ladders, working at heights which may include scaffolding and roofs, crawling, and occasional pushing/pulling.
• Must be able to safely handle and move objects weighing up to 20 pounds.
• Must have an acceptable and safe driving record.
• Must have a driver's license check.
• Additional hours or a modified schedule may be required to meet the department's needs.
• As the situation dictates, you must wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact CPIF HR at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.