Title: Financial Services Specialist - AF053
Hiring Range: $60,000 - $70,000
Agency: Department of General Services
Location: Washington Building
Agency Website: https://dgs.virginia.gov
Recruitment Type: General Public - G
The Department of General Services is seeking a qualified Financial Services Specialist to provide accounting support and financial services in the Fiscal Division for general accounting and capital outlay. This position will provide the technical and functional support to users of the DGS financial. This position will be responsible for supporting month-end and year-end processes which include preparation of journal entries, reports, and year-end attachments. This position will be responsible for performing work of varied and considerable difficulty requiring compiling data, analysis and forecasting.
This position is eligible for teleworking after 6 months of satisfactory performance.
• Considerable knowledge and experience applying the principals of GAAP, fund and governmental accounting, analysis of complex financial data and transactions, and financial reporting in a governmental environment.
• Knowledge and experience of accounting and financial policies and procedures.
• Experience in using automated accounting and financial systems and providing end user support.
• Experience using analytical and problem-solving skills.
• Knowledge and experience of general ledger and accounts reconciliation.
• Demonstrated ability to research, reconcile, analyze and evaluate data.
• Ability to work independently multitask, work well under deadlines, and pay attention to detail; ability to understand, develop, explain, and apply policies and procedures; ability to prioritize and organize work effectively.
• Highly proficient skills in various computer software including Microsoft Office (Word and Excel), spreadsheet applications and accounting software and the ability to effectively use computer software to further develop and improve processes and accomplish work goals.
• Demonstrated ability to present conclusions and recommendations with justifications.
• Good oral and written communications skills. Good organization skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to work effectively with agency management, employees, state agencies, auditors and other individuals.
• Ability to train others in accounting and Excel software.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business administration/management, finance, or closely related curriculum; or equivalent combination of education, training and experience.
• Experience independently establishing, maintaining, evaluating, and improving financial processes, systems and internal controls preferred.
• Experience with the Commonwealth accounting and policies preferred.
• Experience utilizing the Commonwealth of Virginia accounting system (Cardinal) and PeopleSoft experience is highly preferred.
RMS provides a confirmation of receipt when your application and/or résumé is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your RMS account to check the status of your application for this position.
The selected candidate must pass a criminal background check.
Applicants that indicate they have preferential hiring rights in the form of a yellow form or blue card must submit these to our office prior to the closing of the posting, in accordance with DHRM policy 1.30. Please note that only current and former employees of the Commonwealth of Virginia that will be or have been laid off are eligible for preferential hiring rights.
Sponsorship will not be provided for this position now or in the future.
Notice: DGS will record information from each new employee’s Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) into the Federal E-Verify system to confirm identity and work authorization.
Fax, e-mail or mail applications will not be accepted. The online state application must contain all required information and fully respond to questions to be considered for this job opportunity. For assistance or computer access, please visit your local Virginia Employment Office or contact our office email@example.com or 804-786-3910.
Applications will be accepted until a suitable pool of candidates is received. After 5 business days, this position may be closed at any time.
The Virginia Department of General Services is an equal opportunity employer. Minorities, individuals with disabilities, Veterans, and individuals with AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service experience are encouraged to apply.
Applicants in need of accommodation during the application and/or interview process may contact DGS at 804-786-3910 for assistance.
Commonwealth’s Alternate Hiring Process: In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, call DARS at 800-552-5019 or use this link: https://www.vadars.org/drs/cpid/PWContact.aspx .
Name: Human Resources
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS), or the Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired (DBVI). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS/DBVI to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: Career Pathways for Individuals with Disabilities, or call DARS at 800-552-5019, or DBVI at 800-622-2155.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.