Title: Financial Services Specialist I - Staff Accountant
Hiring Range: Based on qualifications & experience
Agency: Virginia Military Institute
Location: Virginia Military Institute
Agency Website: www.vmi.edu
Recruitment Type: General Public - G
Virginia Military Institute is accepting applications for a full-time employee to serve as a Financial Services Specialist I- Staff Accountant working in the Finance and Budget Office, reporting to the Assistant Director. The successful candidate will be responsible for completing the monthly local and state bank reconciliations, daily maintenance of the general ledger, assisting in the preparation of VMI’s annual Financial Statements and NCAA schedules, and producing reports to assist various departments across Post.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties:
• Complete monthly local and state bank reconciliations
• Assist in the preparation of VMI’s annual Financial Statements and NCAA schedules
• Responsible for the maintenance of the Colleague General Ledger
• Post journal entries and perform daily and monthly closing procedures
• Assist in the management of Plant Funds throughout the year and in the preparation of all year-end entries
• Responsible for all misc. monthly billings and billings to the VMI Research Labs as needed
• Annual UBIT filing with the IRS
• Annual unclaimed property return of funds to the State
• Assist with the annual state audit, responding to audit requests, preparing schedules, and performing analysis
• Assist with the implementation of new GASB standards
• Provide support as needed within the department, cross train with other staff accountants to serve as backup as needed.
• Relevant accounting experience
• Skill in analyzing financial data and the ability to manipulate a large amount of data with excellent attention to detail
• Exceptional interpersonal skills with a strong team orientation and communication skills
• Ability to collaborate with other departments to achieve positive results
• Excellent time management and organizational ability
• Ability to multitask and meet constant deadlines
• Associates degree or higher in Accounting or related field
• Knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and/or Governmental Accounting Standards Board pronouncements (GASB)
• Working knowledge of Ellucian Colleague
You will be provided a confirmation of receipt when your application and/or résumé is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your account to check the status of your application for this position.
Please submit a resume, cover letter, and the names of three professional references, along with your application.
Name: Tamara Wade
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS), or the Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired (DBVI). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS/DBVI to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: Career Pathways for Individuals with Disabilities, or call DARS at 800-552-5019, or DBVI at 800-622-2155.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.