The Department of Computer Science at Virginia Tech seeks a Human Resources (HR) Specialist in the Office of the Department Head on the Blacksburg campus. Reporting to the Business Manager, the HR Specialist will be responsible for coordinating all personnel and human resources concerns across the Department.
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to:
|•| Providing comprehensive support throughout all departmental search and hiring processes.
|•| Facilitating technical onboarding for all faculty, staff, assistantship & wage hires.
|•| Managing all visa and immigration cases in consultation with the International Support Services (ISS) office.
|•| Serving as the Department's liaison with the University HR Office.
|•| Supporting the performance evaluation process for AP Faculty and staff.
|•| Managing and maintaining confidential records and information.
|•| Performing additional administrative duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate is committed to participating in a collaborative office environment and possesses the ability to
|•| Manage day-to-day personnel actions with little supervision;
|•| Communicate clearly, effectively, and empathetically;
|•| Work with others to accomplish common goals;
|•| Analyze HR issues and recommend actions based on knowledge of principles and federal and state laws;
|•| Engage with university HR systems and resolve related technical issues.
• Experience accurately processing human resources transactions in a timely manner.
• Experience interpreting human resources and payroll policies and procedures within a university or business setting.
• Exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
• Highly organized and detail-oriented; able to manage multiple priorities resulting in successful outcomes within set deadlines.
• Ability to work independently with little supervision, yet function collaboratively as a member of a dynamic team.
• Analyze complex information to define and solve problems.
• Experience using computers including programs and software such as Windows, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.).
• Bachelor's degree in Human Resource Management or related field.
• Experience working in a university setting.
• Knowledge of university HR policies.
• Experience utilizing various computer software applications and technologies, especially PageUp and Banner or similar database.
• Experience with online applicant tracking systems and/or Human Resource information systems.
• Experience working with visa applications and other immigration processes.
$45,000 - $55,000
January 31, 2023
This position is eligible for 2 days a week telework.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Robert Marcum at email@example.com
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.