The ICAT Production Technician will be the lead technician for ICAT events and projects. This position will prepare, deploy, and operate multimedia technology systems, including the Cube 140 channel audio system, 360 3D projection system, Qualisys motion capture system, and real-time human-interface devices. This position will document and archive multimedia from ICAT events. This position will also support creative work in collaboration with ICAT staff, Virginia Tech faculty and students, and visiting researchers. The technician will assist with troubleshooting of complex audio, video, and networked computer systems. The ability to work collaboratively in a team environment and willingness to take initiative on activities requiring support are required. This position requires night and weekend hours as needed to support events.
Key responsibilities include:
- Plan, prepare, and execute technology systems for live events
- Support ICAT staff in planning and executing research activities
- Assist with day-to-day technology support for ICAT studios and research
- Documentation and Multimedia
- Creative output
• Bachelor’s Degree in Music, Art, Computer Science, Theatre, Electrical Engineering, or related field
• Deep experience with multichannel multimedia systems and their interconnectivity, e.g., High-Density Loudspeaker Arrays, Audinate Dante, Audio Video Bridging (AVB), Network Device Interface (NDI), disguise video servers, projection arrays
• Deep experience with real-time multimedia programming, e.g., MaxMSP, PureData, TouchDesigner
• Experience producing and executing live events
• Experience with multimedia editing and archiving
• Music composition, sound design, data visualization or sonification of data experience
• Computer networking experience
• Familiarity with multiple operating systems and high-performance computing
Commensurate with experience
January 9, 2023
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Holly Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.