Serve as IT support specialist for the departments of HDFS and AHRM, and the Center for Gerontology in CLAHS. Install, configure, update, and maintain macOS and Windows computers. Collaborate with the team of CLAHS IT support specialists to answer service calls in 4Help. Provide polite and professional customer service to users. Support software installation and peripherals including scanners and printers. Respond to user needs via phone calls, tickets, and emails. The IT support specialist reports to the CLAHS Chief Technology Officer.
● A bachelor’s degree in Business Information Technology, Computer Science, or a related field, or equivalent work experience.
● Experience with Windows and Mac operating systems
● Experience installing, operating, and troubleshooting computer hardware and software
● Knowledge of endpoint management frameworks including HCL BigFix, Jamf, or Microsoft Intune, etc.
● Demonstrated ability to interface with end users over the telephone, via email or in person to communicate problem status and resolutions in an effective way
● Good interpersonal, customer support, verbal and technical writing skills tailored to a level appropriate for the intended audience.
● Experience with backup systems like CrashPlan/Code42, Google Drive, Time Machine, etc.
● Experience with ticketing systems such as ServiceNow
● Experience working with computers in an Active Directory/Group Policy environment
● Experience in an IT support or help desk environment or related role
Commensurate with experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Michelle Hall at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.