Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to Inclusive VT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our ongoing efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
Network Infrastructure and Services (NI&S) is part of the Division of Information Technology at Virginia Tech. We provide advanced network, communications, public safety, cable television, and data center services. We design, deploy and operate enterprise scale, high-performance computing and communications networks. Come join us in ensuring that Hokies have direct access to reliable, leading edge, high-speed national and global research networks and facilities for teaching and learning, research, administration, and community service and engagement.
NI&S is a dynamic and exciting organization with a commitment to continuous improvement and is seeking an enthusiastic and motivated person to fill this role. Members of our team will have an opportunity to learn and grow in an environment where all members of the team are expected to:
■ Work cooperatively with others as part of a highly functional team
■ Recognize and respect the practices, customs, values, and norms of other individuals, groups, and cultures
■ Focus on identifying and satisfying customer needs
■ Build positive and professional working relationships
■ Listen actively and effectively
■ Understand and appreciate different and opposing perspectives
■ Present ideas and concepts clearly utilizing effective verbal, written, and visual communications skills
■ Manage time and prioritize tasks to ensure assignments are completed according to established expectations
■ Demonstrate self discipline and reliability
As a member of our Network Infrastructure and Installation team, you will contribute to the installation of cable, conduit, surface raceway, optical fiber and various types of network hardware and equipment needed for Virginia Tech’s communications networks. These networks meet the operational, academic, social, and research needs of over 33,000 students and 8,000 faculty/staff.
Although not limited to the following, the position’s responsibilities will include:
● Perform tasks associated with the installation, repair and maintenance of the University voice, data and video systems.
● Perform activation of various telecommunications services as specified in work orders.
● Assist with fusion splicing, termination and testing of optical fiber.
● With supervision, completes installation of network hardware to include wireless access points and Ethernet switches.
● Installation of Category 6 station cable, termination of RJ-45 jacks, termination of S-210 wiring blocks and perform certification of station cable to ensure compliance with university and industry standards.
● Maintain work order documentation and verify that 911 information is correct after work orders are completed.
● Participation in project management as a team member, following all appropriate IT Project Management processes and procedures.
● Must be able to communicate effectively and with supervision, maintain highly accurate documentation
● Strong communication and interpersonal skills, and able to effectively function as a team member with ability to accurately follow oral and written instructions
● Must have a valid driver’s license with a good driving record and have a background check with favorable results
● Able to climb ladders, reach overhead, and kneel down for long periods of time
● Able to use handheld tools
● Experience performing installation and repair work on voice, data and video systems
● Able to read and interpret blueprints and floor plans
● Understanding of telecommunications structured cabling standards
● Proficient with the use of personal computers, and cable testers
$42,000 - $44,000
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Brittany Kessler at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.