The Licensing Officer will be housed within the LICENSE operation at Virginia Tech’s Center for Innovation and Partnerships. In this role, the Licensing Officer will lead the identification, evaluation, protection, marketing and licensing efforts for technologies with commercial potential from the research activities at Virginia Tech.
Reporting to the Director of Technology Commercialization, the Licensing Officer will:
- Negotiate licenses and options, including equity terms and conditions. In some cases, working independently and in others, supporting the Director and Associate Director.
- Create non-confidential technology briefs, prepare marketing packages and distribute via both passive and active means: (1) passive efforts might include posting them on relevant websites, including the Virginia Tech Intellectual Property website; (2) active efforts might include direct connection to targeted commercialization partners
- Manage on-going patent prosecution with patent counsel to assure the patent strategy is followed, and intellectual property rights are appropriately protected
- Prepare Inter Institutional Agreements with other research enterprises when jointly owned IP is created with collaborators outside of Virginia Tech
- Be an active member of the Virginia Tech community of practice for technology transfer and commercialization, by providing guidance and serve as a resource to other community members, including researchers, management, and other licensing staff members
- Continually manage and update records in office database (Minuet) to ensure IP records are concurrent and accurate
- Work with sponsors to ensure research agreement compliance is assured and resulting licenses are managed appropriately
- Bachelor’s degree in an engineering or science related field and some relevant university business development, alliance management, marketing or technology transfer experience;
- Demonstrated ability to carry multiple, extended projects concurrently through to completion.
- Excellent communication skills, including the ability to develop and present written or oral materials in a concise and professional manner.
$85,000 - $90,000
January 9, 2023
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Kaitlin Winfree at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.