Design, develop, and maintain software for the assessment & learning of mathematics and web-based management of a large, essential, student computer lab (Math Emporium), including server configuration, deployment, and migration. Respond to high stakes technical issues on short time scales and implement feature changes under time constraints from academic management.
In particular, respond to outages and application failures to restore functionality and maintain continuous operations of the learning and assessment activities at the Math Emporium. Work on a diverse team of stakeholders that include course instructors, technical staff, and tutorial staff and provide expertise on the feasibility and implementation of technical solutions to problems, including timelines and anticipated technical problems. Provide data from database to management concerning application and student performance as requested. Maintain security protocols, certificates, data privacy, including FERPA compliance, and working knowledge of current best practices in information/computer security. Interface with other IT staff to implement server upgrades, repairs, and updates. Develop working knowledge of current softwares architecture and a working knowledge of best practices in software architecture to make changes and upgrades as needed.
Daily hours negotiable between 8am and 8pm, Monday-Friday. Must be accessible remotely, by phone, to respond to software issues outside work hours.
Criminal conviction check required.
Bachelor’s degree in Computer Sciences and Master’s degree in Information Systems plus 2 years of work experience in any relevant occupation.
Required Special Skills
• 2 years of experience working in computer science and information systems;
• Proficiency in software development life cycle using Agile and Scrum, with Java programming. This proficiency must have been gained during undergraduate or graduate education;
• 2 years experience managing application servers such as tomcat to deploy web applications and using CICD pipeline to manage continuous integration and delivery;
• 2 years of experience in administrating server applications such as Tomcat application server and GIT/SVN;
• 2 years experience administrating databases, authorizing users, granting access across databases, and tuning databases for performance;
• 2 years experience configuring PostgreSQL server, performing upgrades, maintaining hot backups, and performing disaster recovery;
• 2 years experience performing design analysis on requirements to build applications from scratch using SOA and Microservices;
• 2 years experience managing SMTP server, configure groups;
• 2 years experience with vertical and horizontal scaling of applications and load balancing across multiple servers.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Kevin Kish at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.