This position reports to the Parking Enforcement Supervisor and performs a wide range of duties to ensure parking regulations across the Virginia Tech campus are abided by and encouraged among faculty, staff, students, and visitors. The incumbent will perform routine patrolling of University parking lots to ensure parking rules and regulations are being observed. They will operate a university vehicle to patrol and ensure vehicles are parked in compliance with campus parking rules and regulations. While going through campus, the Enforcement Officer will use a handheld computer and printer to issue parking citations daily. The partnership will be key in this role when contacting the parking dispatcher to verify accurate customer and account information when necessary throughout the day.
This position must be able to work with a diverse group of customers and handle conflict calmly and professionally. The incumbent will be required to assist with boot hardware installs when a towing occurs and respond to customer complaints regarding meter malfunctions and illegal parking.
The Parking Enforcement Officer plays a key role in working special events on campus such as graduation, move-in/out, football games, orientation, and other events supported by the university. They are required to also assist with snow removal during inclement weather on campus, which can lead to additional hours outside the normal work schedule and even when the university is closed. It is an Emergency Personnel position. Additional duties are as follows for a brief description of the tasks that will be asked of the incumbent:
• Responsible for monitoring parking signs on campus and reporting any problems to the
• Responsible for weekly meter collection and meter maintenance as needed.
• Responsible for tagging, collecting, storing, and retrieving bikes on campus as needed.
• Assist motorists on the university campus by performing jump starts and lockouts and completing
the required paperwork for these tasks.
• At times, this position will be the first point of contact to the Virginia Tech Community; quality
customer service is essential.
• This position will help and assist individuals with directions and parking information on campus
while maintaining a positive and professional attitude.
• Required to wear a departmental uniform, including items such as a two-way radio, body
camera, and handheld computer.
• Previous customer service experience that includes the ability to work with diverse and irate
• Basic computer skills.
• Ability to use a handheld device and printer on a daily basis without constant supervision.
• Must possess a current valid driver's license.
• Position requires the ability to safely operate a three-wheeled motorized vehicle and/or a
• Ability to move and handle up to 50 lbs. or more
• Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time.
• Ability to work in a variety of weather conditions as needed and report to work during
inclement weather conditions.
• Previous security, parking enforcement, or related experience.
• Knowledge of university parking rules and regulations.
• Familiarity with Virginia Tech campus.
• Data entry experience.
• Experienced use of two-way radio.
• Previous experience working in a higher education environment.
$15.38 - $16.35
Open until filled
• Position requires the ability to safely operate a university vehicle, including a bicycle.
• Ability to move and handle up to 50 lbs. or more.
• Ability to stand and walk for long periods of time.
• Ability to work in a variety of weather conditions as needed.
• Must have a criminal background check.
• Must have a driver's license check.
• Emergency Personnel.
• Must have an acceptable and safe driving record.
• Schedule subject to change based on business needs. Nights and weekends; three-day weekdays and Saturday and Sunday.
• Must wear the department uniform while on the job, including equipment such as a two-way radio, handheld computer, and body camera.
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Dee Perkins at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.