Title: Police Officer - Full time
Hiring Range: Commensurate with training & experience
Agency: Virginia Military Institute
Location: Virginia Military Institute
Agency Website: www.vmi.edu
Recruitment Type: General Public - G
Virginia Military Institute is accepting applications for a full-time Police Officer. This position will serve on the night shift. The incumbent will have the following job responsibilities:
• Patrol VMI Post to investigate disturbances, protect life and property
• Monitor security and report safety hazards
• Operate communication and police equipment
• Enforce laws, including traffic regulations within jurisdictional boundaries
• Control crowds, traffic, parking and pedestrians during special functions and dignitary visits
• Prepare reports, conduct initial investigations, secure evidence, serve legal documents, testify in court and at hearings.
Starting salary commensurate with training & experience.
All applicants for the position of police officer must meet the requirements of Virginia Code §15.2-1705. Such applicants shall:
• Be a citizen of the United States.
• Be required to undergo a background investigation as described in VMI Police Department General Order 1-22
• Have a high school education or have passed a high school equivalency examination approved by the Board of Education
• Possess a valid driver’s license
• Pass a physical/medical examination, subsequent to a conditional offer of employment, conducted under the supervision of a licensed physician
• Not have been convicted of or pleaded guilty or no contest to a felony or any offense that would be a felony if committed in the state of Virginia
• Minimum age of 21
• Not have produced a positive result on a pre-employment drug screening
• Shall not have been convicted of or pled guilty or no contest to:
o any misdemeanor involving moral turpitude, including but not limited to petit larceny under § 18.2-96, or any offense involving moral turpitude that would be a misdemeanor if committed in the Commonwealth
o any misdemeanor sex offense in the Commonwealth, another state, or the United States, including but not limited to sexual battery under § 18.2-67.4 or consensual sexual intercourse with a minor 15 or older under clause (ii) of § 18.2-371
o domestic assault under § 18.2-57.2 or any offense that would be domestic assault under the laws of another state or the United States.
The incumbent must also successfully complete a course of instruction at a police academy approved by the Virginia DCJS (unless currently certified as a Police Officer through DCJS in the Commonwealth of Virginia).
• Currently certified as a Police Officer in the Commonwealth of Virginia;
• Previous law enforcement, military or security experience; and
• Previous experience at VMI or another college/university
• College-level coursework in criminal justice
RMS provides a confirmation of receipt when your application and/or résumé is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your RMS account to check the status of your application for this position.
On-line applications accepted until the position is filled.
Name: Tamara Wade
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS), or the Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired (DBVI). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS/DBVI to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: Career Pathways for Individuals with Disabilities, or call DARS at 800-552-5019, or DBVI at 800-622-2155.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.