Title: Project Manager
Hiring Range: $96,000 - $105,000
Agency: Virginia Lottery
Location: Virginia Lottery
Agency Website: www.valottery.com
Recruitment Type: General Public - G
For more than 34 years, the Virginia Lottery has been building an amazing organization committed to growth and giving back – and having fun while doing it. Operating entirely on revenue from game sales, rather than tax dollars, the Virginia Lottery generates more than $2.0 million per day for Virginia’s K-12 public schools. The Virginia Lottery also licenses and regulates casino gaming and mobile sports betting.
The Virginia Lottery, an independent state agency, is currently seeking a Project Manager to join its Project Management Office.
As a member of the PMO, this position must align efforts with the Lottery’s strategic plans, goals, and objectives and must effectively communicate ideas and strategies upward and across the agency to peers and staff.
The Project Manager will:
• Serve as the contact point for driving projects to successful completion by meeting the identified business needs of his/her business partners.
• Possess enough technical knowledge to work well with all levels of technical staff and bring business knowledge to projects.
• Ensure projects are delivered within scope, budget, and schedule acceptance rates.
• Create the project charter, project schedule, identify and update risks and issues, provide the project status report to key stakeholders, assist with other documentation, lead project team meetings, and conduct project “lessons learned” meetings to implement additional best practices.
• Possess experience in managing projects using Waterfall and Agile methodologies.
• Partner extensively with associated Business Analysts and the PMO Manager to ensure established best practices instituted by the PMO are followed in accordance with established procedures and methodologies.
• Work with customers to understand the overall objectives and how the project or initiative correlates with business goals and strategies.
• Collaborate with business partners, sponsors, assigned Business Analyst, and project team members to create the project charter, work breakdown structure (WBS), project schedule, evaluation and recommendations documents, communications plans, RACI documents, and other project artifacts as assigned.
• Measure performance metrics against performance targets.
• Coordinate internal resources and third parties/vendors for the flawless execution of projects.
• Ensure that all projects are delivered on-time, within scope and budget.
• Perform special projects as assignments as required.
The person selected for this position will have:
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited 4-year college or university with major studies in Information Technology, Business Administration or related field.
• Five-plus years of experience in project management in the information technology arena.
• Extensive knowledge of project management best practice methodologies.
• Superior knowledge of project management strategies.
• Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, with end users, Project Managers, Business Analysts, contractors, Executive Sponsors, and associated staff.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others, both within the Lottery and externally.
• Exceptional organizational skills, including attention to detail and excellent multi-tasking skills.
• Extensive experience in managing projects as a Project Manager (PMBOK) and Scrum Master (Agile).
• Ability to effectively manage multiple projects of varying complexities, meet deadlines, and work well under pressure.
• Strong analytical, problem solving and leadership skills.
• Excellent interpersonal skills, including active listening skills, as well as oral and written communication skills.
• Strong and tested project management skills, including facilitation, team leadership, vendor, and risk management.
• Ability to deal with ambiguous situations, complex concepts and details.
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Visio, and Project).
A comparable amount of training and experience may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
Preferred qualifications include:
• Advanced degree in Information Technology, Business Administration, or related field.
• Project Management Professional (PMP) certification from the Project Management Institute (PMI).
• Certified Scrum Master (CSM) certification from Scrum Alliance.
• Lottery experience.
The selected candidate will be required to complete a background investigation and possess a valid Driver’s License. Hybrid work schedule requiring in-person work three (3) days a week. Minimum travel required.
The Virginia Lottery is an independent state agency, and as such all positions are exempt from the Virginia Personnel Act, as well as most Executive Branch human resources policies. The Virginia Lottery is a fun place to work and values diversity in the workforce. We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits. The Virginia Lottery is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Only online applications completed in their entirety will be accepted for this position. The Virginia Lottery will provide, if requested, reasonable accommodation to applicants in need of accommodation in order to provide access to the application and/or interview process. If any assistance is needed when applying online, please contact the Virginia Lottery’s Human Resources Department at (804) 692-7000.
Applications will be accepted until a suitable pool of candidates is received. After 5 business days, this position may be closed at any time
Name: Debbie Omohundro
Phone: (804) 692-7206
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS), or the Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired (DBVI). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS/DBVI to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: Career Pathways for Individuals with Disabilities, or call DARS at 800-552-5019, or DBVI at 800-622-2155.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.