Title: Psychiatric Care Technician
Hiring Range: $20.74 per hour
Agency: Dept Behavioral Health/Develop
Location: Southeastern Va Training Centr
Agency Website: https://www.sevtc.dbhds.virginia.gov/
Recruitment Type: General Public - G
Provide a variety of support services for adults with intellectual disabilities and challenging behaviors including physical aggression
- Work within a person-centered educational model to provide support, educational/training, and supervision of individuals with intellectual and developmental disabilities
- Run training programs; administer medications; collect and record pertinent data and complete required paperwork
- Contribute to and maintain an environment that is supportive of individual choices, enriching, homelike, safe and nurturing for people with disabilities
- Support and instruct individuals in a range of daily living skills including: self-help, personal hygiene, independent living, and social development
- Implement daily training programs and behavior support plans
- Monitor leisure time, recreational, social and activities of choice
- May be supporting individuals receiving emergency stabilization services
-Drive facility mega vans to transport individuals
A valid Driver’s License. Candidates with out-of-state Driver’s License must provide a copy of their driving record transcript within 30 days of employment.
- Must be able to effectively communicate, interact positively and professionally with peers, other team members and supervisors.
- Demonstrated ability to follow written and oral instructions; observe and accurately observe report and describe observations and in writing.
- Good comprehension of English, spoken and written.
- Must be able to learn and acquire skills of basic care and treatment plans; to read, understand and carry out individualized programs and to recognize and appropriately react to behavioral, medical and other emergencies.
- Must be able to meet the physical demands of the position to include: standing, bending, walking, pushing/pulling, lifting up to 50 pounds or ¼ of your body weight, and intervening with aggressive behaviors.
- Must successfully complete the facility’s Pre-service training program for Direct Support Professional Staff, to include Person Centered Approach techniques, CPR/First Aid Certification, TOVA, medication administration, nutritional management and physical/behavioral management, for continued employment. (Pre service training class is 12 days long 8:00 am to 4:30 pm and one day 2p-10p).
- POSITION WILL WORK PRIMARILY 2:00 PM TO 10:00 PM, ROTATING WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS, BUT INCUMBENTS WILL NEED TO BE FLEXIBLE TO COVER OTHER SHIFTS IF NECESSARY (6AM-2:00PM AND 10PM-6AM).
Experience working with individuals with aggressive behaviors or mental health issues
- Related education or experience, either personally or professionally, working with individuals with developmental/intellectual disabilities, mental health issues, or in the medical field
- Prefer some knowledge of program activities including recreation, leisure skills, communication, vocational, and educational programming.
RMS provides a confirmation of receipt when your application and/or résumé is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your RMS account to check the status of your application for this position.
Southeastern Virginia Training Center only accepts online applications via PAGEUP. Resumes and other documents may accompany the application but will not serve as a substitute for an application. Faxed, e-mailed or mailed applications will not be accepted. Please refer to your PAGEUP account for the status of your application and this position. This posting will remain open for a minimum of five (5) business days.
Southeastern Virginia Training Center offers a comprehensive benefit package to include your choice of four health insurance plans, paid life insurance and retirement plans, 12 paid holidays, annual and sick leave.
These positions are hourly/wage and not eligible for benefits. Hourly (wage) employees may not work more than 29 hours a week and are limited to working 1500 hours in a year.
Commonwealth’s Alternate Hiring Process: In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Certified Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: https://www.vadars.org/drs/cpid/PWContact.aspx
, or call DARS at 800-552-5019.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact Human Resources at 757-424-8545 for assistance. Minorities, Individuals with disabilities, Veterans, and people with National Service experience are encouraged to apply. EEO/AA/TTY.
Southeastern Virginia Training Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment opportunities are open to all regardless of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics or disability.
DBHDS is a healthcare organization and must comply with the federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (federal CMS) guidance on Omnibus COVID-19 Health Care staff Vaccination Regulation which requires vaccination of all employees or an exemption. A job offer of employment is contingent upon the candidate meeting these guidelines as a condition of employment.
Name: DaShanta White-HR Recruiter
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS), or the Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired (DBVI). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS/DBVI to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: Career Pathways for Individuals with Disabilities, or call DARS at 800-552-5019, or DBVI at 800-622-2155.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.