Title: Reference and Instruction Librarian
Hiring Range: Commensurate with credentials and experience
Agency: Norfolk State University
Location: Norfolk State University
Agency Website: WWW.NSU.EDU
Recruitment Type: General Public - G
1. Provide reference assistance and research consultations for students, faculty, staff, and visitors of the library.
2. Participate in the development, management, and coordination of reference services, including in person onsite and remote online services.
3. Provide bibliographic instruction sessions for students, faculty, and classes within the library and through videoconferencing.
4. Participate in the development, management, and coordination of information literacy programs and services, including library orientations and bibliographic instruction.
5. Participate in staffing the library's Information Services Desk during various daytime, evening, and weekend work shifts.
6. Collect, maintain, and report statistics on reference and instruction services for library, university, professional, and government reports and surveys.
7. Assess reference and instruction services to determine and enhance the effectiveness of information literacy initiatives on student learning.
8. Evaluate and recommend information resources and technology that enhance the effectiveness of reference and instruction services.
9. Assist with collection development efforts, including identifying, evaluating, and recommending, information resources for acquisition or de-acquisition.
10. Maintain online research tools and create research aides that facilitate library usage, including the library website and research guides.
11. Promote usage of the library by engaging academic departments, marketing library services, and developing outreach programs.
12. Represent the library and faculty on university shared governance committees and participate in campus programs and events, as appropriate.
13. Participate in professional groups and events and contribute to the advancement of the field of librarianship.
1. A master's degree in library science from a program accredited by the American Library Association.
2. At least 1-3 years of experience working in libraries and providing reference and/or instruction services.
3. A strong commitment to public service and customer service orientation.
4. Ability to collaborate with others and work as a part of a team.
5. Good information literacy and information technology skills.
6. Good verbal and written communication skills.
1. Experience working in academic libraries,
2. Experience using Innovative Sierra and WorldCat Discovery,
RMS provides a confirmation of receipt when your application and/or résumé is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your RMS account to check the status of your application for this position.
Application and/or résumé for this position must be submitted electronically by 11:59 p.m. on the closing date through the Commonwealth of Virginia’s Job Board/Recruitment Management System (RMS). Mailed, emailed, faxed, or hand delivered applications and/or résumés will not be accepted. Applicants who possess an Interagency Placement Screening Form (Yellow Form) or a Preferential Hiring Form (Blue Form) as issued under the Department of Human Resources Management (DHRM) Policy 1.30 Layoff (Commonwealth of Virginia Employees Only), must attach these forms when submitting their state application and/or résumé. The decision to interview an applicant is based solely on the information received for this position from either the electronic application and/or résumé. RMS provides a confirmation of receipt when your application and/or résumé is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your RMS account to check the status of your application for this position.
Norfolk State University conducts background checks on all candidates identified as a finalist for employment consideration. The type of background check(s) performed are dependent upon the type of position for which you have been identified as a finalist and may include: criminal history, including sexual offender registry checks, reference checks, degree validation, DMV (driving) records, license verification, and credit report reviews. The results of background checks are made available to University employing officials. As a finalist, you will be required to sign an Authorization to Release form. Norfolk State University utilizes Form I-9 and E-verify in the verification of eligibility for employment. Applicants must be authorized to work in the U.S. without employer sponsorship.
Name: Office of Human Resoureces
Email: NO EMAILED DOCUMENTS ACCEPTED
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS), or the Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired (DBVI). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS/DBVI to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: Career Pathways for Individuals with Disabilities, or call DARS at 800-552-5019, or DBVI at 800-622-2155.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.