Title: Registered Nurse - I
Hiring Range: $69,297- $95,630 (Salary commensurate with experience)
Agency: Dept Behavioral Health/Develop
Location: Western State Hospital
Agency Website: http://www.wsh.dbhds.virginia.gov/
Recruitment Type: General Public - G
SIGN-ON BONUS up to $7,500 available to those new to state service. Candidates are eligible for Loan Repayment.
Fresh graduates and nurses having experience in healthcare facility, acute care, long-term care or correction setting can apply for the position. As a classified employee, enjoy a highly competitive benefit package. RN I deliver quality nursing care to adult through utilization of the nursing process in accordance with hospital policy and procedure and standards of nursing care and practice. Candidates can be move into a Registered Nurse II position after 1 year at DBHDS or demonstrating a thorough understanding of competencies relating to psychiatric healthcare.
Western State Hospital is seeking Registered Nurses for 2nd or 3rd shifts. Registered Nurses are scheduled to work (2) 12-hour shifts and (2) 8-hour shifts or (5) 8-hour shift per week and every other weekend.
Paid Shift Differential:
1st shift weekend $5.50/hr.
2nd shift weekdays $5.50/hr., and weekend/holidays $6.00/hr.
3rd shift weekdays $4.00/hr, and weekend/holidays $7.00/hr.
Western State Hospital may be just the place to practice your profession and contribute to health care. We are a 250 bedded Joint Commission/CMS accredited hospital located in the beautiful Shenandoah Valley within 30 minutes of major university towns. We are waiting for the Occupancy certificate for two new units, which will add 56 beds to our capacity.
The hospital is well regarded locally and across the state, has provided consultation or working tours to seven other states regarding our Psychosocial Rehab “Learning” programs, effectively recruits and retains professional staff, and works actively within the hospital and with our community partners to produce good clinical and quality of life outcomes for individuals.
Our strategic philosophy is to provide valued service, to look forward and anticipate challenges and opportunities, to actively educate the public, and to be open and welcoming to the media.
Some benefits of working for Western State Hospital (part of the Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services (DBHDS) within the Commonwealth of Virginia)
- Career ladder opportunities
- Professional Skills incentive is available to full time candidates
- Offer flexible schedule to maintain work life balance.
- 11 different Insurance packages to choose from including health, dental and vision options
- 2 Retirement savings plans to help you start saving for your future
- 24/7 Security
- Shift and Weekend differentials for certain positions
- Sick and personal time off
- Clinical positions loan repayment options
- State employee discount program for products and services that includes; movie tickets, special events, cell phone plans, Kings Dominion as well as other top entertainment and travel products in Virginia and across the country, fitness facilities, vacations, pet services to name a few
- Tuition reimbursement
- 3 weeks of paid dedicated training
- Vacation time
- Paid Life Insurance
- 12 paid Holidays
- Knowledge of basic nursing standards and fundamentals.
- Current, Virginia license to practice as a Registered Nurse or license eligible; multi-state compact endorsement is accepted.
- Ability to assess, plan, implement and evaluate care utilizing knowledge of pharmacology, psychiatric and physical disorders and cultural needs of the psychiatric patient.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Associate degree in Nursing from an accredited institution of higher education, work experience may substitute for education.
- Minorities, individuals with disabilities, veterans, and people with National Service experience are encouraged to apply. Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities.
- Experience as a Registered Nurse in psychiatric, healthcare facility, acute care, long-term care or correction setting preferred.
- Bi-lingual Spanish and English highly desired.
RMS provides a confirmation of receipt when your application and/or résumé is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your RMS account to check the status of your application for this position.
The successful applicant must pass a criminal background investigation, drug screening test and employment reference check. The applicant must have the ability to perform at the level of physical demands noted on the Employee Work Profile and the verified ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
Commonwealth’s Alternate Hiring Process: In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS), or the Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired (DBVI). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS/DBVI to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: https://www.vadars.org/drs/cpid/PWContact.aspx, or call DARS at 800- 552-5019, or DBVI at 800-622-2155.
DBHDS is a healthcare organization and must comply with the federal CMS Omnibus COVID-19 Health Care staff Vaccination Regulation which requires all employees to be vaccinated or receive an exemption. Upon acceptance of a job offer, new recruits will be asked to disclose their vaccination status (and for those fully vaccinated, proof of vaccination) during the pre-employment process. New staff who are not vaccinated for any reason or choose not to disclose their vaccination status, will need to request a medical or religious accommodation. If you have questions, please contact the Office of Human Resources.
Name: Moez Nayani
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS), or the Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired (DBVI). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS/DBVI to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: Career Pathways for Individuals with Disabilities, or call DARS at 800-552-5019, or DBVI at 800-622-2155.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.