The Weston Lab at the Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC is seeking a Research Technician to complete general laboratory operations, collect data for research projects investigating the origins of neurodevelopmental disorders with early-onset epilepsy, and testing novel therapeutic strategies. The research technician will be responsible for working with rodent models of human disease, animal husbandry, surgeries, and monitoring brain activity using electrical and optical approaches. The technician will also be responsible for operating and maintaining equipment used to carry out experiments. The successful candidate should be detail oriented, keep careful records of experimental results, and be highly motivated to learn about and perform biomedical research that aims to ultimately advance patient care. They should also be flexible and enjoy a fast-paced research environment.
• Must be an effective communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
• Must have basic lab experience including dilutions, weighing chemicals, and understand proper chemical handling
• Must be able to work independently and manage time effectively
• Must be detail oriented
• Must be comfortable with computer software
• Must be able to sit or stand a lab bench for extended periods of time
• Demonstrated interpersonal, analytical and problem solving skills with strong attention to detail
• Although extensive prior experience with rodents is not required, candidate must be comfortable learning how to handle rodents and perform surgeries
• Must have a demonstrated ability to interact respectfully and comfortably with all individuals in a diverse, multicultural environment.
• B.S. in Biology, Biochemistry, Neuroscience or a related field
• Interest in advancing human neuroscience through dedicated repeat-experiments
• Strong communication, interpersonal, organizational and team skills.
• Demonstrated ability to follow instructions
• Previous research experience
Commensurate with experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Brittany Shelton at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.