This position is with the Electronic Research Administration (ERA), which is developing a customized system to provide online tools for university researchers, business managers and administrators to manage funded research activities at Virginia Tech. The position requires directly interacting with other testers, application developers, project leaders, end users and vendors, and the successful candidate must possess the ability to effectively and professionally communicate with each.
In this position, the successful candidate will:
• Work with the development and functional teams to write test plans and schedule testing according to sprint schedules and application release dates.
• Write test scripts, develop and execute automated regression tests, and carry out manual testing of research administration applications.
• Develop testing standards and procedures for ensuring the software products meet organization standards and end-user requirements.
• Write and maintain Quality Assurance (QA) and testing documentation.
• Report, track, and communicate software bugs and enhancements to the project team and management
• Collaborate with the project team to provide feedback towards application design, functionality and navigational improvements.
• Bachelor's degree in IT related field, or equivalent progressive professional experience
• Demonstrated QA experience in building automated test suites; experience in manual testing using various testing techniques for Web applications, including functional, system, acceptance and regression testing
• Experience with Test Automation Frameworks and WebDriver tools such as Selenium
• Exposure to SQL and DBs such as PostgreSQL
• Testing knowledge in browsers such as Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox
• Skilled in writing test plans, and identifying and executing test cases from user stories and software requirements
• Experience working with Jira or similar scrum, bug and project tracking tools
• Ability to self-direct while demonstrating strong collaboration skills and team-oriented motivation
• Proactive approach toward learning and understanding of applications and technologies
• Ability to develop, maintain and refactor large test suites while employing programming techniques to reduce code duplication and promote code reusability
• Ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously, independently prioritize tasks, and meet project deadlines
• Ability to communicate effectively with a variety of audiences
• Java, JUnit testing
• Familiarity with HTML and CSS selectors for selecting and interacting with browser elements
• Writing adaptable tests for highly dynamic and asynchronous single-paged web applications
• Git version control in a team environment (multiple developers, branches, reviews, merge requests)
• Chrome/Firefox developer tools for inspecting HTML elements, identifying console errors, simulating network speeds, and testing different screen sizes
• Experience working in an Agile/Scrum environment.
Commensurate with skills and experience
October 20, 2022
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Sandra Burks at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.