Network Infrastructure and Services (NI&S) is part of the Division of Information Technology at Virginia Tech. We provide advanced network, communications, public safety, and data center services. We design, deploy and operate enterprise-scale, high-performance computing, and communications networks. NI&S is a dynamic and exciting organization with a commitment to continuous improvement and is seeking an enthusiastic and motivated person to fill this role.
As a member of our Systems Operations team, you will contribute to the design, implementation, and operation of Virginia Tech’s centralized compute and storage services. We provide operational support for servers and storage that host Virginia Tech administrative and support applications. Our solution scope ranges from high-availability virtual infrastructure to flexible and secure cloud resources. Systems team members participate in the provisioning, installation, configuration, operation, and maintenance phases of in-house and cloud-based applications. We provide the infrastructure and platforms to enable numerous services and teams across the university. Come build with us!
- Members of our team will have an opportunity to learn and grow in an environment where all members of the team are expected to:
- Provide Linux systems administration and other routine operational tasks
- Provide support to enterprise computing resources, supporting services, and applications
- Develop, enhance, and maintain tools or scripts to assist in provisioning, administration, and performance monitoring
- Utilize knowledge, assets, and resources to participate in project planning to develop solutions that meet business requirements
- Contribute to complex aspects of team projects
- Learn new technologies and skillsets, including infrastructure automation, advanced storage solutions, and cloud infrastructure
- Utilize existing policies, processes, and best practices to ensure operational excellence and efficient workflow
- Create and maintain up-to-date documentation of services and functions
- Be self-motivators with the capacity to work independently with minimal supervision as well as in a team environment
- Knowledge as a systems administrator or engineer
- Strong communications skills
- Knowledge of fundamental Linux administration, storage configuration, and networking configuration
- Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and diagnose routine software and hardware system errors
- Demonstrated competency in the build, and configuration of services
- Working familiarity with configuration management systems (Ansible, Puppet, Chef, etc.)
- Demonstrated experience in writing scripts or code leveraging version control systems
- Demonstrated ability to develop, maintain, contribute to, and follow procedures related to the deployment, operation, troubleshooting, and management of systems
- Bachelor's Degree in a STEM field or related equivalent experience in IT operations
- Professional Linux systems or AWS certification (RHCSA, RHCE, LPIC, LFCS, Linux+, GIAC, AWS Certified Solutions Architect – Associate
- Working experience with RedHat/CentOS or related Linux distributions
- Working experience with Ansible and/or Ansible Tower/AWX
Commensurate on experience
The successful candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check.
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or military status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Amber Pifer at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.