Title: Program Support Specialist
Hiring Range: The anticipated starting salary range is $50,000 to $54,000
Agency: Dept of Criminal Justice Svcs
Location: Dept of Criminal Justice Serv.
Agency Website: www.dcjs.virginia.gov
Recruitment Type: General Public - G
The Department of Criminal Justice Service is seeking a collaborative and innovative team player to serve as a full-time Program Administration Specialist in Richmond, Virginia. This position supports program development and provides direct administration and accountability for the Private Security Services (PSS) Business Regulatory program, PSS Initial Registration Applications, and Initial Firearm Endorsements. This position will assess, process, and verify all incoming licensing documentation and receipt of registration fees; and when applicable, post and reconcile payments in accordance with state and agency policy. Public service offers the opportunity to do important rewarding work while maintaining a healthy work-life balance. If you want to be part of an agency that cares about our constituents, rigorously advocates and promotes opportunities for all Virginians, we’d love to have you join us!
What you will do:
● Update and maintain records in the credential management system. This includes keying in initial, renewal and additional category applications as necessary, and prepare credentials for printing, emailing, and mailing.
● Provide administrative support for business licensing program.
● Assess and process payments received in accordance with state and agency policies.
● When applicable, ensure all fees received are processed and deposited in accordance with state and agency policy.
● Support business standards and licensing, including, but not limited to, telephone coverage and calendar management.
● Ensure accuracy of information entered in any databases and the licensing system.
● Independently complete tasks and utilize excellent customer service skills when interacting with internal and external customers.
● Create and maintain a records management and filing system in accordance with State record management requirements, policies, and procedures.
● Handle sensitive and confidential issues and matters.
● Provide general administrative support for other regulatory programs, compliance and enforcement, and adjudication.
● Develop and utilize effective business strategies in the credential management process.
What the ideal candidate must possess:
● Experience with maintaining records in Credential Management System.
● Experience with providing administrative support and entering data for business licensing program, regulatory program, and adjudication.
● Experience with processing payments in accordance with state and agency policies.
● Ability to interpret and explain to customers information about Virginia regulations, laws, policies, and procedures.
● Demonstrated working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite to include but not limited to Word, Excel, Outlook, Access, etc., Internet, Virtual Meetings, and e-mail software.
● Ability to think strategically and cross culturally, and independently implement new initiatives and projects.
● Ability to articulate, both orally and in written form, clear and concise program objectives and goals and summarize achievements of programs in reports and other documents as requested.
● Documented experience working as an active, contributing team member, as well as an independent and self-motivated employee.
● Demonstrated ability to meet critical deadlines, handle multiple assignments, changing priorities, and ensure timeliness and quality of completed assignments.
What the preferred candidate would possess:
● A post-secondary degree in Criminal Justice or Public Administration, or a related field. Substantial related work experience may substitute for educational requirements.
You will be provided a confirmation of receipt when your application and/or résumé is submitted successfully. Please refer to “Your Application” in your account to check the status of your application for this position.
Interview candidates may be required to demonstrate the skills and abilities necessary for satisfactory performance of work. The candidate selected for the position must successfully complete a criminal background investigation and complete and submit a Form I-9 (Employment Eligibility Verification) which will be entered into the Federal E-Verify system to confirm identity and work authorization. The individual may also be responsible for submitting an annual Statement of Personal Economic Interest. In addition, the selected candidate who begins original employment or re-employment in this position must serve a 12-month probationary period effective from the date of employment. The anticipated starting salary range is $50,000 to $54,000 plus the state’s benefits package.
To apply, submit a completed State of Virginia Application for employment at https://jobs.virginia.gov by 11:55 pm on February 9, 2023. The application and supplemental questions must be completed in a comprehensive manner and reference any pertinent knowledge, skills, and abilities as well as any previous experience that relates to the position. Fax, email, or mail applications will not be accepted. Résumés and cover letters may be attached to the online application.
The Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. Prior to the next step in the recruiting process, we welcome you to inform us confidentially if you may require any accommodations to participate fully in our recruitment experience. Contact us at (804) 786-5491 to notify us of any needs related to completing the job application. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other National Service Alumni are encouraged to apply. The Department also encourages and invites veterans to apply.
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process.
To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS), or the Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired (DBVI).
Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS/DBVI to get their Certificate of Disability.
If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: https://www.vadars.org/drs/cpid/PWContact.aspx, or call DARS at 800- 552-5019, or DBVI at 800-622-2155.
Please refer to your account at https://jobs.virginia.gov for the status of your application and this position.
Name: Anita Sikka
In support of the Commonwealth’s commitment to inclusion, we are encouraging individuals with disabilities to apply through the Commonwealth Alternative Hiring Process. To be considered for this opportunity, applicants will need to provide their Certificate of Disability (COD) provided by a Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor within the Department for Aging & Rehabilitative Services (DARS), or the Department for the Blind & Vision Impaired (DBVI). Veterans are encouraged to answer Veteran status questions and submit their disability documentation, if applicable, to DARS/DBVI to get their Certificate of Disability. If you need to get a Certificate of Disability, use this link: Career Pathways for Individuals with Disabilities, or call DARS at 800-552-5019, or DBVI at 800-622-2155.
Each agency within the Commonwealth of Virginia is dedicated to recruiting, supporting, and maintaining a competent and diverse work force. Equal Opportunity Employer
Thank you for sharing this job
It is the policy of the Commonwealth of Virginia to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Virginia uses E-Verify to check employee eligibility to work in the United States. You will be required to complete an I-9 form and provide documentation of your identity for employment purposes. To check your current eligibility visit Self Check.